anyone else thinking of...?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

anyone else thinking of...?

Postby jasmatk » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:44 am

adding to your canadian copper pile.With the RCMs murder of the penny I can only think its a good idea to add to the canadian pile anyone else buying or thinking of buying.

Also what do you guys think of non copper canadians do you think it is worth putting a couple sets together?
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: anyone else thinking of...?

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:55 am

The first what is a set. Canadian cent like US cent have proofs they have a W mint mark. Some of the P mint marks are hard to find P is for plated . Also a Lighthouse album has more holes than a Whitman folder and a Gardmaster has slots that are not the same. To nice websites for what out there on Canadian coins is https://www.jandm.com/script/getcatalog.asp?CID=3 and http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php. If you go the Whitman folder way the highest cost coin would be a 1923 at $30+ and you would just have a hole for a 1936 DOT left that one is 400K US$.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ggg » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:42 am

jasmatk wrote:I can only think its a good idea to add to the canadian pile

I think it depends on why you are adding to your Canadian pile. Is it for the numismatic value (rare and key dates) , copper value (about $3.75 /lb), or a supply and demand value (low supply of 2012 pennies versus a current high demand for them). All three have potential. However, I wouldn't pay a premium for Canadian copper IF it's just for the copper value. It's $3.75 /lb whether it is a common Canadian penny or an MS64 1955 double die. However, I would pay a premium IF it was a good deal on some 2012 Canadian pennies and I was trying to make a quick profit. I say you have to diversify. A chart of copper shows that copper prices are about the same now as they were 5 years ago. Some numismatic pennies have increases by a huge margin in that same 5 year period. A month ago a roll of 2012 Canadian pennies was 50 cents a roll, now they are selling for about $15 a roll. It's a lot to think about and to consider. How much do you have to invest. Is this for long term or short term gain. Is it for a quick flip. The fun is trying to figure it all out.
ggg
Penny Sorter Member

Postby jasmatk » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:40 am

ggg wrote:
jasmatk wrote:I can only think its a good idea to add to the canadian pile

I think it depends on why you are adding to your Canadian pile. Is it for the numismatic value (rare and key dates) , copper value (about $3.75 /lb), or a supply and demand value (low supply of 2012 pennies versus a current high demand for them). All three have potential. However, I wouldn't pay a premium for Canadian copper IF it's just for the copper value. It's $3.75 /lb whether it is a common Canadian penny or an MS64 1955 double die. However, I would pay a premium IF it was a good deal on some 2012 Canadian pennies and I was trying to make a quick profit. I say you have to diversify. A chart of copper shows that copper prices are about the same now as they were 5 years ago. Some numismatic pennies have increases by a huge margin in that same 5 year period. A month ago a roll of 2012 Canadian pennies was 50 cents a roll, now they are selling for about $15 a roll. It's a lot to think about and to consider. How much do you have to invest. Is this for long term or short term gain. Is it for a quick flip. The fun is trying to figure it all out.

I was just thinking of buying some canadian CTUs for long term holding.Im also going to put a set together.I guess my motive is if the mint is not puting new coins into circulation the coppers will dissapear faster.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Nice collection there. Canadian cents are atrractive, especially the large cents. They are one of the first coins I started collecting when I was 7 years old. My uncle would travel to Montreal on business and and bring back handfuls of Canadian coins for me. I still have them all too, including some big older silver dollars, many silver quarters, dimes and REAL nickels.

When I started sorting Cu pennies in bulk 1 year ago, I was surprised how many Canadian cents I found in US circulation. I find almost as many Canadians in the boxes I get as US wheaties.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing