Multiple wheats in strings rolls vs single wheat rolls

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Multiple wheats in strings rolls vs single wheat rolls

Postby merchoarder » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:45 am

The majority of the pennies I get are Strings rolls. I find that about half of the time, if I find a wheat in a roll, there will be at least one more in the same roll. Example, my last box had ten wheats. These were in six rolls, 4 rolls had 2 wheats and 2 rolls had one. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this? I have noticed this a lot in the past with some rolls having as many as four or five wheats. I just started keeping better records of my hand sorting but I found this kind of interesting. Explanations? Thoughts?
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Multiple wheats in strings rolls vs single wheat rolls

Postby Franco American » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:53 pm

I have seen a similar pattern in Brinks boxes for both pennies and nickels. This past weekend for example, I had a box of nickels and found 8 1948S and 6 1942D in them. They were found mostly 2 at a time and prior to that I had never seen either of these 2 coins in the mix. I wondered if someone had dumped old rolls of nickels in the batch that was being sorted that day.
Franco American
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Multiple wheats in strings rolls vs single wheat rolls

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Yep....my heart skips a beat when I find a wheat....cause I know...there's almost always another one in the roll!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing