would you have sorted this box?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

would you have sorted this box?

Postby cwgii » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:11 am

my 'weekend' box , was terrible.

i opened it to see only 6-12 dark coins per roll.

ended up being 52 cu in the first 10.00

second was worse at 48.

692 and 652 , 2010's

each also gave up one wheat.

as it was what i had , to sort for the night. i sorted, but , it sure went quickly....
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: would you have sorted this box?

Postby Country » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:23 am

Reminds me of the numerous half SKUNK boxes I have seen lately that are basically someones dumps. UGGGH!!! :(

It could be that some areas are beginning to be tapped out of COPPER, while other areas still get 30% COPPER. I guess someday it'll be like this everywhere - a few COPPER coins, the rest zincs.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby cwgii » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:38 am

i could understand a box of solid 2010.s . this had just enough 'brown' showing to make me do it. odd that out of 100 cu, i got 2 wheats. when i normally get that in 1000.

the other box from the same branch was 'normal.' at 15% CU.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PreservingThePast » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 am

cwgii wrote:i could understand a box of solid 2010.s . this had just enough 'brown' showing to make me do it. odd that out of 100 cu, i got 2 wheats. when i normally get that in 1000.

the other box from the same branch was 'normal.' at 15% CU.

I've never had that experience but have had many rolls that had only one or two in the 1959 - 1981/1982 category.

However, HCBTT has posted on several occasions about getting these "dirty rolls" as you describe above. All new pennies with just a few dirty coins mixed in the roll. Guess it might be to try to dissuade people from selling them as BU rolls for a profit.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:26 pm

I have recieved a few contaminated new boxes of cents as well. I'm not sure why they are doing this now? Maybe they are trying to cut down on new cent box hoarders. I know others have mentioned getting mixed new boxes of cents in the past as well. Very interesting, I used to get either Shiny new boxes or the usual mixed average box.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:32 pm

I don't think the "dirty" boxes are done on purpose. I think they just dump what ever coins they have on hand into the wrapping machines. If they are all new, all old or a mix they are still the same denomination and go into the hopper.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JobIII » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Country wrote:Reminds me of the numerous half SKUNK boxes I have seen lately that are basically someones dumps. UGGGH!!! :(

It could be that some areas are beginning to be tapped out of COPPER, while other areas still get 30% COPPER. I guess someday it'll be like this everywhere - a few COPPER coins, the rest zincs.

I sometimes get NF string Half dollar boxes that have been taped closed. When i open them up the box is rolled using CRW's...! :x Really sucks but you have to look through the box.

For the pennies. I would probably have weighed the rolls. If they came out too close to a full zinc roll i'd make a trade. :roll: simply go in and ask for another box or go to a totally different bank. They may look at you funny but it's better then getting 10% Cu for your efforts.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:06 pm

I remember getting a box that had a copper exposed on the end of each roll but each roll only had 3 or 4 Cus... And in each roll the Cus were bunched together. It looked like someone or machine put alot of effort into making the box look like it was all Cu.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cunick » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:30 pm

I recently became interested in sorting for copper, and sorted about 20 rolls and one bag of pennies before buying three bags to reduce travel time to the bank. My first 20 rolls and first bag produced a little over 20% copper.

The second $50 bag was whatever is the opposite of a skunk! It had almost all 1958 to 1982. There were less than a dozen post 1982, and no pre 1960. There were about 30 non copper from 1982. Over 99% copper.

Other than beginner's luck, I can't figure what happened. Did someone make a mistake and dump copper instead of zinc? I also couldn't understand why the non copper 1982's were included if it came from a serious sorter. What makes it even more interesting is that the other two bags I purchased at the same time had a little over 20% copper.

In addition, most of the coins in the "Magic Bag" were in very good condition. I guess I should just be thankful that it happened, but there had to be a logical explanation. Otherwise, the odds of it happening would be astronomical.

Thanks to all for the interesting posts that got me started sorting, and if anyone has a logical explanation, I would like to hear it.
cunick

Postby ScottyTX » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:00 am

cunick wrote:I recently became interested in sorting for copper, and sorted about 20 rolls and one bag of pennies before buying three bags to reduce travel time to the bank. My first 20 rolls and first bag produced a little over 20% copper.

The second $50 bag was whatever is the opposite of a skunk! It had almost all 1958 to 1982. There were less than a dozen post 1982, and no pre 1960. There were about 30 non copper from 1982. Over 99% copper.

Other than beginner's luck, I can't figure what happened. Did someone make a mistake and dump copper instead of zinc? I also couldn't understand why the non copper 1982's were included if it came from a serious sorter. What makes it even more interesting is that the other two bags I purchased at the same time had a little over 20% copper.

In addition, most of the coins in the "Magic Bag" were in very good condition. I guess I should just be thankful that it happened, but there had to be a logical explanation. Otherwise, the odds of it happening would be astronomical.

Thanks to all for the interesting posts that got me started sorting, and if anyone has a logical explanation, I would like to hear it.

I'm thinking it was an old penny stash that someone turned in for some cash. I have recieved a few old penny stashes from people at times and have gotten 99% copper so it is definately. This is also what occurs at time in CWR that you can get from the bank. Every once and a while I'll hit the copper jackpot but usually 5.00 or so nothing to the extent of your bag. Congrats on the find!!!
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing