Last pennies roll off the line today in Canada

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Postby 1945v » Fri May 04, 2012 5:51 am

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...0012115.html
1945v
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Last pennies roll off the line today in Canada

Postby RichardPenny43 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:52 pm

I think Franklin said it best.
we will miss you QEII.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fb101 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:16 pm

never be worth anything but I'd like to to get a head tail roll of those to keep.
kind of "end of an era" even if I'm not CA.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverflake » Sat May 05, 2012 5:10 am

Sorry to see the Canadian penny go. Down here in Virginia, my boys and I still get enjoyment when we see a maple leaf in the roll of Lincolns that we are searching.

In all seriousness, we know the U.S. penny is not far behind. It continues to amaze me how these politicians in both (all) countries get rid of, in this case, pennies because they are not 'worth' anything anymore. But the reason they are not worth anything isn't the penny's fault. It's the government who inflated the money supply over years and years fault. I apologize to my Canadian friends and neighbors, I don't know your economic/monetary history quite as well as the U.S. but it is obvious your money has eroded like the U.S.

My Great Grand-Father on my Dad's side was born and raised in Quebec. Emigrated 90 miles south to St. Johnsbury, Vermont at the turn of the last century. He imprinted a pride in Canada on my Grandmother. When my Dad died a couple of years back, we found rolls of Canadian pennies he had from his Mom (my Grandmother) that she would get when she went to visit relatives in Quebec. They were mostly from the 50's and 60's. They are mine now. I will definitely keep them.

To close, this U.S. citizen will miss the Canadian penny.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Bluegill » Sat May 05, 2012 8:23 am

They are quite prevalent here in MI, so they won't disappear anytime soon in these parts. But eventually later will become now... I dig Canadian coins so I will miss the classy little bronze Maple leaf when it does eventually part from the scene.

I couldn't care less about that dysfunctional inbred monarch on the other side.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Common Cents » Sat May 05, 2012 8:32 pm

Bluegill wrote:They are quite prevalent here in MI, so they won't disappear anytime soon in these parts. But eventually later will become now... I dig Canadian coins so I will miss the classy little bronze Maple leaf when it does eventually part from the scene.

I couldn't care less about that dysfunctional inbred monarch on the other side.

I'm sure Canadians were reassuring themselves similarly before the penny was scrapped north of the border. The window will close much sooner than you are thinking.
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing