Cent hoarding, A dying hobby for Canadians

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Cent hoarding, A dying hobby for Canadians

Postby Copper » Tue May 08, 2012 12:59 pm

I have been a member here for quite a while, and I don't post as often as I should, seem to busy reading what you guys post, I enjoy it very much. The way it looks, in Canada where I am the penny hoarding will come to an end in the next few years, so while I have amassed several ton of them and loved doing it, eventually I will be forced to quit, because of shortage. This almost discouraged me and I began to think of new ways to collect this lovely metal without the high premiums of the hand made bullion, and I came up with a plan to make my own. So after a lot of reasearch I built a furnace, and striped some wire I had lying around, and now have begun to cast kilo bars of copper. They are not perfect and definately need some fine tuning, it is just the begining a new way to continue this stacking hobby. If anyone has any advice on how to make them look better, I am all ears! I will try to attach a few pics.

Cheers,
Luke
Attachments
Kilo bar 4.JPG
Kilo bar 4.JPG (100.43 KiB) Viewed 557 times
Kilo bar 5.JPG
Kilo bar 5.JPG (112.03 KiB) Viewed 557 times
Kilo bar 2.JPG
Kilo bar 2.JPG (83.35 KiB) Viewed 677 times
Last edited by Copper on Tue May 08, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Copper

Re: Cent hoarding, A dying hobby for Canadians

Postby NHsorter » Tue May 08, 2012 1:03 pm

I like the bars. Have you tried polishing the crap out of it? Maybe you already did? I know nothing about making these so excuse my ignorance, just thought I would chime in and tell you that I like the bar. And sorry to hear about your countries penny execution!
Last edited by NHsorter on Tue May 08, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Night Hawk » Tue May 08, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm no master caster by any stretch but I have to wonder, what flux are you using? It looks like you should be able to get rid of more of the impurities.

Still, not bad for home casting.....
Night Hawk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper » Tue May 08, 2012 4:25 pm

I did not use any flux. I hear borax works, but I'm not sure when to add it and if you pour it with the flux on or off.
Copper

Postby My2Cents » Tue May 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Did you pre-heat your mold? It appears that some of your initial pour cooled quickly.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper » Tue May 08, 2012 6:33 pm

No I did not preheat the mold. Thanks for the tip.
Copper

Postby Morsecode » Tue May 08, 2012 7:40 pm

Nice going on the hoard, Luke. And I like the bars, too.

25 posts in a year and a half? We need to from you more often than that.

8-)
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby anarchir » Tue May 08, 2012 9:02 pm

This is very intriguing, but what is the point in making them into bars? Planning on selling them?
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Postby John_doe » Tue May 08, 2012 9:17 pm

nice. mini foundry.

very resourceful way to keep your hobby going.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Copper » Tue May 08, 2012 9:43 pm

anarchir wrote:This is very intriguing, but what is the point in making them into bars? Planning on selling them?

I'm not melting cents, there's no point they are copper bullion. These bars are made from 999 fine copper wire, i melt it for fun, and it stacks better than wire, also it doesnt cost anything to melt if you burn used oil. For now I do not plan to sell them, just stack.
Copper

Postby CanadianCopper » Wed May 09, 2012 12:32 am

It is nice to see some resourceful Canadians stepping up to try to find new ways to obtain copper once the pennies extinguish in September. My eyes will be glued to this website for every ounce of information I can get :D

Good luck with the bars!
Videos of all my coin roll hunting finds can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadaCoinHunting
Check out my blog: http://www.canadacoinhunting.blogspot.com
CanadianCopper
Penny Sorter Member

Postby My2Cents » Wed May 09, 2012 5:54 am

I'd be interested in seeing your oil-fired burner and furnace assembly... all the way down to the crucible you're using and the mold. I'm getting into some backyard foundry work myself when this contract is up, and it's always nice to see how other people are doing it. I'm curious as to what kind of refractory you used for your furnace?

I won't ever melt my own pennies down, but like you, will cast bars from scrap copper pipe and wire. Actually, I plan on casting bars of aluminum, brass, and copper.
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper » Wed May 09, 2012 8:17 am

My2Cents wrote:I'd be interested in seeing your oil-fired burner and furnace assembly... all the way down to the crucible you're using and the mold. I'm getting into some backyard foundry work myself when this contract is up, and it's always nice to see how other people are doing it. I'm curious as to what kind of refractory you used for your furnace?

I won't ever melt my own pennies down, but like you, will cast bars from scrap copper pipe and wire. Actually, I plan on casting bars of aluminum, brass, and copper.

I will get pics of it sometime. I used Mizzou cast able refactory, good for 3000 degrees F. I started with AL, that melts like butter at 660C, but pure copper is a different animal, you need almost 1100 C or 2000degrees F
Copper

Postby My2Cents » Wed May 09, 2012 8:29 am

I bought a burner from http://www.hybridburners.com/products.html ... I think I bought the T-Rex. High effiency propane burner. I figure that I can heat up pretty good for what I want it for anyway. I thought about an oil fired burner and have seen some pretty great designs using a drip feed tube with used motor oil and a small blower to force the air in and burn hotter.... seen some even melt iron with it.

I'd like to see how you designed and built your burner. Who knows... maybe I'll have 2 furnaces and a forge by the time it's all said and done.

I like how you stamped your bar. I think once you pre heat your mold, the bar won't be so pitted and will look a lot better. Practice makes perfect ya know, but if you're just looking to stack... who cares.
Looking forward to your pictures
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper » Wed May 09, 2012 11:12 am

Ok thanks for the link, looks like their design would work well. I made a propane/natgas burner, but the get expensive to run. I got pics now but cannot seem to post them from the phone. Will post them when I get to the PC :)
Copper

Postby Copper » Wed May 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Here are some pictures of the creation. Nothing fancy, just an old waterheater tank with 3" of refactory inside, mounted on a platform with casters for easy moving. I made the burners myself, the long one is for propane and natural gas, and the short one is a babington style used oil burner, which I still need to work a few bugs out of yet ;) The crucible is made from heavy steel pipe with 3/8 plate weld on the bottom, I have a clay grafite crucible but have not used it yet because I need to make a set of tongs to handle it. I bought the molds, they are 80TOZ gold cast iron molds and when filled with copper, make a nice Kilo of about 37av oz. Hope this is helpful :D
Attachments
burners oil propanenatgas.JPG
burners oil propanenatgas.JPG (202.71 KiB) Viewed 435 times
Mold and crucible.JPG
Mold and crucible.JPG (200.91 KiB) Viewed 435 times
furnace and propane setup.JPG
furnace and propane setup.JPG (160.38 KiB) Viewed 435 times
Copper

Postby My2Cents » Wed May 09, 2012 6:17 pm

That looks like the kind of set up I'll be running... just on a smaller scale. I'd really like to have a furnace large enough to melt 20+ pounds of aluminum at a time. I have the room and I'm still working on the design. I have a 40gal water heater that I saved when I put a new one in the house, so maybe I could use that for one of my smaller set ups. But when running such a large furnace, I almost need an oil burner. There's a lot of good information at this one website... http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oilburners03.html
I'm not sure if you've seen this guys page, but there's a lot of information over there well suited for the DIY'er like me. Maybe he could give you some decent ideas on how to work some of the bugs out of your burner.

I'm wanting to cast big 5lb-10lb bars just to have something large and very stackable... but I need a large crucible (and hence... a large furnace) to do that. Maybe at that point I can start sledge hammering engine transmissions down and stacking large aluminum bricks.
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed May 09, 2012 6:42 pm

Now you've gone and done it!!... Where the heck am I going to get the money for that?!?!....

Nice link!
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby My2Cents » Wed May 09, 2012 6:58 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:Now you've gone and done it!!... Where the heck am I going to get the money for that?!?!....

Nice link!

That's the best part.... you can pretty much salvage all your parts and pieces to build your own set-up.... minus the castable refractory and some gas regulators or burner parts. But even then... you're talking chump change. I bought a hybrid burner for a tad over $125-ish, and a high pressure gas regulator for $50. But you can build a burner for a far cry less (but it'll be less efficient of course). Burning old engine oil will really ramp up the heat for melting stuff faster, and that's easy to come by. The rest is some simple cutting and welding if you have the capability like i do.

And like he said before... it's a lot easier to stack bars of scrap metal than all the odd ball lengths of copper pipe/wire/aluminum framing.

Besides... there's just something cool about messing around with molten metal.
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby baggerman » Wed May 09, 2012 7:15 pm

Now you got me thinking. I built a propane forge a few months back as I want to learn to blacksmith, gets plenty hot enough to pound a RR spike so now I guess we will have to see if it gets hot enough to melt some copper wire. Here is my first attempt at a knife.
Attachments
knife2.jpg
knife2.jpg (56.11 KiB) Viewed 396 times
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby penny pretty » Wed May 09, 2012 8:05 pm

OK so what bank do you buy wire at, and where do you dump the zinc wire :D
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:59 pm

Not a bad looking knife! What is it made of?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby baggerman » Wed May 09, 2012 10:33 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:Not a bad looking knife! What is it made of?

Railroad spike.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Copper » Thu May 10, 2012 6:55 am

penny pretty wrote:OK so what bank do you buy wire at, and where do you dump the zinc wire :D

You don't need to do as much schmoozing to get free scrap wire as you do to buy and dump cents :D
Copper

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing