Proof or Uncirculated?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Proof or Uncirculated?

Postby RD5 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:29 am

I've been looking to buy some graded pennies and on feebay it seems that proofs are cheaper than an uncirculated version with corresponding number grade. So are graded proofs or unirculated coins more expensive/rare?
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Re: Proof or Uncirculated?

Postby ScottyTX » Wed May 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Yes and no, it depends on what date's your comparing and so on. No way to really tell.... Respectfully speaking, I think your stepping off the deep end with buying a graded coin with minimal knowledge. I imagine that many of us have screwed up/ have regrets about our early coin collecting habits and grew and learned from our mistakes. Scotty raises his hand on this one.... I too wanted to buy some certified coins cause I thought they were neat, Lesson learned there. Save up enough money to buy one that is actually worthy of being in a slab, cheap modern slabbed coins is a waste of money. Heck if your just wanting a slab to look at PM Rodebaugh, I'm certain hes got a few cracked ones laying around :) Stick to PCGS/NGC graded coins if you must buy as only a trained eye can detect which of the lower quality services have accurately graded the coins, this is also true for PCGS/NGC but to a much lessor extent.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Proof or Uncirculated?

Postby RD5 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:30 pm

Yeah, I think I'll hold off buying a graded coin until I can get a nice one
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing