Why bother with this?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Why bother with this?

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri May 25, 2012 8:40 am

I saw this article on coinflation. It seemed like a good idea at first if you want paper shares, -ie- like PSLV, for example. You could hedge a physical metal position by locking in low prices with paper and smooth out roller coaster price fluctuations. Simple truth is you can get copper much below spot by hoarding pre-1982 cents. If anything is an inspiration to keep setting aside copper cents, it is seeing articles like this.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47544382
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Why bother with this?

Postby JobIII » Fri May 25, 2012 9:43 am

hoarding copper pennies and buying into copper ETF's isn't exactly comparing oranges to oranges.

I'm not so eager to dive into ETF's like these after getting to see the crash AGQ made last year. 52 week range - high $127 low $36, dropped $45 in 4 days of trading, currently at $41. Definitely not for the faint of heart.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby Gobirds66 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:39 am

I often ask the same thing to the dealer selling 1 oz copper rounds at coin shows for $5. The premium of that round is so high that the per pound price of copper would have to skyrocket just for me to cover the cost of that round, that I just do not see it happening, especially when you can buy a pre-1982 copper cent for a cent! So basically after my discussion, the dealer usually gets rid of me by saying it is more for the collector, not the stacker. So I guess that is why his little sign is advertising to buy his 1 oz rounds as an investment.

IMO, they can keep the ETF and the copper round. I will fill up my basement with the pre-1982 cent. In the worst case, I can always use them as a penny immediately. No need to sell off to get money, plus I never lose my investment, ever, as long as this country exists...... No ETF or Copper Round can grant that security.
If they give you lined paper, write the other way....
Gobirds66
Penny Sorter Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri May 25, 2012 11:10 am

Gobirds66 wrote:IMO, they can keep the ETF and the copper round. I will fill up my basement with the pre-1982 cent. In the worst case, I can always use them as a penny immediately. No need to sell off to get money, plus I never lose my investment, ever, as long as this country exists...... No ETF or Copper Round can grant that security.

The 95% copper cent is 100% fungible as cash and still retains the metal content premium (as long as copper stays in the price range it is at). My only complaint is the amount of space and weight the pennies take up. Other than that, I stack away bags of sorted cents and don't even worry about copper prices really. The copper pennies represent a 0% interest savings account that someday may pay out 100% ROI if copper prices climb high enough. How long do you think a 1% interest rate savings bank account would take to accrue 100% compounded growth?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BCD11 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:26 am

JerrySpringer wrote:How long do you think a 1% interest rate savings bank account would take to accrue 100% compounded growth?

:lol: Couldn't resist it...463 years :shock: .
BCD11
Penny Sorter Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri May 25, 2012 11:42 am

BCD11 wrote:
JerrySpringer wrote:How long do you think a 1% interest rate savings bank account would take to accrue 100% compounded growth?

I got ~69.5 years according to my calculator. I'd rather have the copper cents languishing in plastic bags than in the bank at that rate....
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BCD11 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:42 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:
BCD11 wrote:

I got ~69.5 years according to my calculator. I'd rather have the copper cents languishing in plastic bags than in the bank at that rate....

Blew that one didn't I!

I was figuring going from $1 to $100.
BCD11
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing