Questions about selling CTUs

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Questions about selling CTUs

Postby Josh. » Sat May 26, 2012 4:51 pm

1. Would you sell $100 FV meaning 68.5 lbs of coinage (probably ends up being slightly more face value due to circulation wear)?

2. Do you typically just leave them loose or roll the pennies (not even sure if rolls would fit the dimensions of either of the medium boxes, but just curious)?

3. As I take it, being under 70 lbs that works in a Priority Mail box. Does it fit in a Medium Flat Rate Box, costing $10.85 paid for online?

4. I understand that this offers free delivery confirmation. Are there any other services that typically are added on, and if so, what do they cost?

Trying to figure out the (present-day) profit. So if my understandings are correct, a theoretical $160 sale (shipped) would lose ~$4.94 to PayPal fees, if paid for that way, and $10.85 to the USPS. That leaves $44.21 profit, or 44% on each penny.
The above post does not contain professional advice or similar information.
Josh.

Re: Questions about selling CTUs

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat May 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Looks like your calculations are correct to me. Don't forget the cost of heavy duty packing tape, gas (depending on how far of a drive to the post office) and auction site fees (if you use an auction site).

I would try selling Craigslist first. I have a local buyer in Phoenix who found me on Craigslist. He's always ready to buy CTU's from me for $140 each. I don't have to do all the work involved in packing and shipping. I just weigh out 68lbs in a reusable grocery bag and meet him at Starbucks. He gives me cash and I give him his copper in a bag.

Easy day :-)
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby My2Cents » Sat May 26, 2012 5:06 pm

The overage on FV wouldn't be too noticeable due to wear. You're moving poundage, so get an accurate scale for that. If you wanted to count out $100 for the sake of selling exactly what you promised, then I would roll them for the sake of shipping.

I hear (I've never done it) that a CTU will, in fact, fit in a medium flat rate box and ship for the $10.85 rate. It borders on the 70 lb limit, but it's doable. Just package it well and tape the Hell out of it.

Since you're shipping money, the post office won't insure the package.... however, if you ship copper discs for jewelry, <wink wink> they'll insure that. Insurance rates are posted on their website.

Most people here will accept Paypal gift (meaning NO fees on the receiving end). When you're sending money, click on the 'personal' tab, then have your buyers either choose 'gift' or 'living expense', and the money will show up to you fee-free. Of course there's trust involved, and by sending money as a gift or otherwise, you lose your footing if there's a dispute.

So your theoretical sale of $160 would lose $10.85 shipping, $2 (or so) for insurance, and if you get paid fee-free, then that's it... at least by my calculations... but I don't sell anything...I just buy.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby BCD11 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Four Brinks cent boxes will fit in a "shirt box" Medium Priority Mail Flat Rate box. Mine weigh 69.4 lbs. according to the clerk at the USPS branch I use.

$100 in bagged pennies might fit in the other size Medium Priority Mail Flat Rate box.
BCD11
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Josh. » Sat May 26, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks, Derek. Yeah, the situation you have sounds great!

Do you wrap with packing tape, say, 2-3 times across each potential "opening" in the box? I browsed Amazon and the best I saw was 784 inch/$ on the Duck brand, unless you buy dozens of rolls. There was also a USPS version that gives you basically twice as much per dollar, but it had extremely mixed reviews and doesn't seem to be useful for heavy packages.
The above post does not contain professional advice or similar information.
Josh.

Postby NDFarmer » Sat May 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Two $50.00 bags fit in a medium flat rate box. The bigger thing is to ship the pennies in canvas bags or plastic bank bags so that if a corner of the box opens up and sometimes they do no matter how well you tape them you don't loose any pennies.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun May 27, 2012 2:01 am

I have shipped both ways.. loose in bags and rolled and boxed. My packages come in just over 69 pounds.I use the good 3M packaging tape and usually bag the coins in the standard plastic coin shipment bags. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing