A good harvest of wheats

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

A good harvest of wheats

Postby Coppercrazy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:27 pm

SO today I decided to finally get a box to go through (I usually get 10.00 worth) and the teller said theres charge on boxes,which was a letdown,I dont want to pay over face to look through rolls! I said well fine Ill get 10.00 worth then.Usually we find 1 or 2 wheats per thousand pennies....this batch had 19! :D Including 2 1944s, 1 1942s ,1 1946s and a BU 1958 d! Total coppers 204! What I cant stop thinking about is the other 30 rolls in the brinks box the teller opened up in front of me! Ill be back for the rest! DO you guys pay a fee for your full boxes,or you just find that some banks don't charge fees for boxes? Happy hunting! ;)
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Re: A good harvest of wheats

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:53 pm

You should never have to pay a fee for pennies to sort. Just look around until you find a bank that will sell them to you at face, or better yet get their $50.00 bags that come off their counting machine. You can also find banks that will order boxes for you each week just make sure you pick them up on the day they come in so they are taking up room in their vault.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby exbingoaddict » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:49 pm

Now that's a wheat harvest. The box I just went through had 16 wheats. Does anybody keep any stats and have an avg wheats per box figure?
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby PennyPauper » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:34 am

exbingoaddict wrote:Now that's a wheat harvest. The box I just went through had 16 wheats. Does anybody keep any stats and have an avg wheats per box figure?

if you get 1% your doing good :)
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aloneibreak » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:42 am

exbingoaddict wrote:Now that's a wheat harvest. The box I just went through had 16 wheats. Does anybody keep any stats and have an avg wheats per box figure?

my average is .41% - - just over 10 per box
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby slvrbck » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:13 am

Never. . . ever. . . pay for rolled coin. It is just one more bulls@%$ fee for banks to smack us with. I would rather drive 10 miles than pay a bank an extra zinc penny. Shop around a little. It's best to have accounts at supply banks but I have several around that let me walk right in and get coin w/ no account at all.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:29 pm

I've opened 8 boxes thus far and found 66 wheats.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverflake » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:23 pm

Hey folks. I am new here but would like to share my penny searching. First I thought I was the only person onto this copper penny thing until I happened on to this site. I had been going to my local bank every week and getting $2 of pennies (4 rolls) for about 2 years. I have already seen a decline in my percentage (and yes I use another bank as a 'dump'). I was getting 13-15 coppers per roll 2 years ago, now I seldom get over 10 per roll. Anyhow, after finding this site, I got up the nerve to go and ask my bank for $25 worth of pennies. After a strange look, the manager said that she could easily give me $25 worth of pennies. She not only got them for me, she GAVE me a coin bag (a bankers sack) and gave me the metal $10 boxes for holding the coins (though she did ask for those to be brought back). Then she said she could order me more pennies if the bank ran out! Awesome! Needless to say I have been through $50 of pennies in the past 2 weeks. Here's a breakdown:
549 coppers
6 wheats (including a beautiful UNC 1956 D)
6 Canadian pennies
4 dimes

Keep the posts coming, I have learned much from you all.
By the way, I live in Virginia.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:25 am

Wecome to the forum! It looks like you are off to a very good start! :)

silverflake wrote:Hey folks. I am new here but would like to share my penny searching. First I thought I was the only person onto this copper penny thing until I happened on to this site. I had been going to my local bank every week and getting $2 of pennies (4 rolls) for about 2 years. I have already seen a decline in my percentage (and yes I use another bank as a 'dump'). I was getting 13-15 coppers per roll 2 years ago, now I seldom get over 10 per roll. Anyhow, after finding this site, I got up the nerve to go and ask my bank for $25 worth of pennies. After a strange look, the manager said that she could easily give me $25 worth of pennies. She not only got them for me, she GAVE me a coin bag (a bankers sack) and gave me the metal $10 boxes for holding the coins (though she did ask for those to be brought back). Then she said she could order me more pennies if the bank ran out! Awesome! Needless to say I have been through $50 of pennies in the past 2 weeks. Here's a breakdown:
549 coppers
6 wheats (including a beautiful UNC 1956 D)
6 Canadian pennies
4 dimes

Keep the posts coming, I have learned much from you all.
By the way, I live in Virginia.
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fleck » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:11 pm

I suspect your wheat rates will go up as the economy continues to tighten.
Why? People are gonna roll up those old coins and cash them in for fiat currency to spend.
Pretty dumb huhhh?

It reminds me of when the coin counters first started to be installed in the supermarkets.
In 1994, I walked into a convenience store to buy a $2 pack of smokes and received a 1909 VDB in my change.

That was within a month of these machines going into the stores.

I never dreamed I would pull a VDB out of circulation.
fleck

Postby Coppergames » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:49 pm

Back in Illinois I used to average 8-12 wheats. Then I moved to Idaho :shock:
Got lots of stuff on sale, Stranga!
Coppergames

Postby misteroman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 pm

10 or so a box in WNY too. every 5th roll or so
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby jangles » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:50 pm

I got real lucky on my last search, searched $20 worth of pennies and found $2.12 worth of wheats :D
jangles

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing