Is this smelting furnace any good?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Is this smelting furnace any good?

Postby NHsorter » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:28 am

I have been thinking about trying to make some bars and rounds and I just came across this craigslist item and I was wondering is anyone with knowledge on the subject might be able to offer me opinions on this unit. Is this a good deal?

http://nh.craigslist.org/for/3170691062.html
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Is this smelting furnace any good?

Postby K9-TSN » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:34 pm

NHsorter, I personally believe that $600.00 for the smelter is a very good price.

I have seen brand new ones of that model, go for $800.00 - $829.00

Charles
K9-TSN

Postby NHsorter » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:53 pm

THanks K9. It says that the crucible is worn. Do you know how much the cost? I would try to look it up myself, but I don't know the maker or model number for the unit.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby deacon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:42 pm

Looks closest to this. http://chinajiuchen.en.alibaba.com/prod ... erproduct1

Maybe this is a replacement crucible?
http://www.amazon.com/CRUCIBLE-FOR-KILO ... ng+furnace

Why don't you ask him where he bought it?
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:32 pm

That looks like a clone of the Kerr Electromelt or Maximelt furnace (it's a furnace, not a "smelter;" smelting is the process of extracting a mineral/metal from ore). Probably uses the same crucibles as the Kerr units. Could be 1, 2, or 3 kilo. Hard to tell from the picture. The Kerr units are of good quality, I don't know much about the clones.

Crucible is easy to replace and relatively cheap. You'll want a separate crucible for each metal to avoid cross-contamination anyway. The real question should be the condition of the heating element and the interior refractory. That's the expensive part to replace (if parts are even available separately for these imported units, again I don't know).

The heating element will wear out faster melting copper because you'll be running it at the maximum temperature.

I have two lightly-used Kerr MaxiMelts (3 kg). The first I paid around $750 for, the second was a total steal at around $250. If it's truly equivalent to a Kerr furnace, $600 is a pretty fair price.

This place has a package for $500 shipped. Again, no idea of the quality.
www.ebay.com/itm/320947792722
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Primus123 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:01 pm

Try this for $669

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/MakeYo ... dle%20Pour

You don't want to melt with an old crucible and I think a new one will run you $30-40 anyways.
Primus123
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:40 pm

I think for now I'll just hold off and see if the price drops in a week or two. This does not look like a cant miss deal frO what you guys are saying. I just happened to see the ad during a "coins" search an I had always thought it would be cool to pick one of these up. I am in no hurry though so I think I'll wait until a smokin deal pops up. Thank you all for your input!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IronMan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:54 pm

I had never thought of smelting. Do many on the forum smelt?
IronMan

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing