Ryedale owners!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Ryedale owners!

Postby iatetacos » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:28 pm

How do I slow down the feed of my ryedale?? Lol It didn't come with a manual or anything..
iatetacos
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Ryedale owners!

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:45 pm

Turn the dial to the left :mrgreen:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:23 am

If you don't have the fancy pants version, you can block some of the holes on the feeding disc. Search the old posts. I know that someone on here blocked every other one with something to cut the feed rate in half.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:26 am

Why would you want to slow down? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby stlouiscoin » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:36 am

If you cover up every other hole, use masking tape. I've found it works best
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:42 am

Yeah, HCBTT, I have the opposite problem.
But seriously, when were they made with a "speed dial?"
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby jacer333 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:52 am

uthminsta wrote:Yeah, HCBTT, I have the opposite problem.

Not sure when the apprentice acquired one, but I bought a MAXX in March which has one equipped
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Its the Apprentice Plus, it was only available on Ebay.
Zoom out on the picture (ctrl-) and you can see it also has a counter.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IronMan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:37 pm

iatetacos wrote:How do I slow down the feed of my ryedale?? Lol It didn't come with a manual or anything..

Why do you want to slow it down?
IronMan

Postby tinhorn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:34 pm

I had to slow done a Ryedale because the accepted coins were fed directly (cascading-style) into another discriminator. The second discriminator couldn't quite keep up without jams. I cut discs out of a wine cork and taped them into three of the holes in the wheel.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby iatetacos » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Well my ryedale keeps jamming in the comparator. I have completely cleaned and dry slide has been applied where relevant and it still is jamming. I guess I will just send it in to get it serviced.
iatetacos
Penny Pincher Member

Postby penny pretty » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:12 pm

iatetacos wrote:How do I slow down the feed of my ryedale?? Lol It didn't come with a manual or anything..

you unplug it, then sort by hand :D
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:15 pm

iatetacos wrote:Well my ryedale keeps jamming in the comparator. I have completely cleaned and dry slide has been applied where relevant and it still is jamming. I guess I will just send it in to get it serviced.

Have you cleaned the comparator? Even a very small piece of wrapper paper can cause a jam. Try using a compressed air can to blow it out. Also clean the chute very good. Push the chute down into the holder as far as it will go. You want the top of the chute to be below where the pennies come out as far as you can. DON"T USE TOO MUCH FORCE AND BREAK SOMETHING. On mine I can usually get it about 2-3 millimeters below where they come out. This gives the pennies more "air" time and less contact with the chute. Any reside on the coins or chute will cause drag and the coins can slow down or stop.

Cleaning and putting dri-slide on the SnP is the most important. Andy has some videos showing the effects of not lubing the SnP.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby iatetacos » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:45 am

did so with the snp. it flicks exactly like it shows in his vid. chute was cleaned with dawn and clr and given a very thin layer or dri-slide which has for the most part stopped jams in the chute which is where i had most of my issues initially. now they are instead jaming down inside the comparator. i have taken it off and blown it out, cleaned it (not as thoughly as the chute) but enough so i am sure theres no chunks in there of anything. i applied again a thin layer of dri-slide anywhere contact is made with the pennies. still it jams. it is the most frustrating thing when you have $600 to run and it jams every 5 min lol.
iatetacos
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:52 am

In ancient times.. before the apprentice was even a gleam in Andy's eye.. when there was only one model of Ryedale.. and it came encased in gleaming red metal.. the machines came with a variable speed control. Some of the early Apprentices came with it as an option. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:36 am

iatetacos wrote:did so with the snp. it flicks exactly like it shows in his vid. chute was cleaned with dawn and clr and given a very thin layer or dri-slide which has for the most part stopped jams in the chute which is where i had most of my issues initially. now they are instead jaming down inside the comparator. i have taken it off and blown it out, cleaned it (not as thoughly as the chute) but enough so i am sure theres no chunks in there of anything. i applied again a thin layer of dri-slide anywhere contact is made with the pennies. still it jams. it is the most frustrating thing when you have $600 to run and it jams every 5 min lol.

There are a number of possible causes, the most common involve sticky dirt, resolved with cleaning, which is why you've seen a lot of comments on that. That's a given, and requires regular maintenance.

But the second most common cause (for me) is bent or mis-sized coin, followed by foreign material (wrapper paper, etc).

Have you looked at the coins that are jamming? Are some bent? Are some UK pennys in your mix, or other types of non-US coin? They will jam every time.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby uthminsta » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:59 am

I also found that if my Ryedale was not sitting level (more specifically, if it was tipping backwards a little), it would jam more often. So I would put a magazine under the back "legs" so it would lean forward just a wee bit. Worked like a charm.
uthminsta

Postby slickeast » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:54 pm

uthminsta wrote:I also found that if my Ryedale was not sitting level (more specifically, if it was tipping backwards a little), it would jam more often. So I would put a magazine under the back "legs" so it would lean forward just a wee bit. Worked like a charm.

I have 4 thin books just for that purpose.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby iatetacos » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:52 pm

no excessive damaged coins. that was actually what i assumed it was initially when they were still jaming in the comparator. as far as levelness.. did not realize that was an issue. i will try propping the back and seeing how that runs =) it was never any foreigns or anything like that.
iatetacos
Penny Pincher Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:28 am

HCBTT's ryedale is set to take it up to whole another level.

exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Ryedale » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:07 am

You may need a largely unknown procedure I call "coil gap adjustment"
when you've done all the other normal things, and it's still jamming at the inlet to the comparitor, it could be the coil gap is set to wide.

To determine if this is the culprit, you must remove the jammed coins from the top down, one at a time, slowly and observe if the last coin looks like it's slightly trapped behind the Dampener Arm (small black plastic thing, with the weight on it)
It is very important to look at exactly where the coin is jamming.

When the coil gap is set too large, it allows a slightly wedge shaped or thin penny to tuck behind the dampener arm, instead of just pushing it down while the weight of the coin goes by. I have made a picture of these adjustments and linked it here.
I HIGHLY RECCOMEND you do not adjust this until you witness the coin jamming in the dampener arm. One way to test a machine is to temporarily remove the arm from the machine by removing the pivot axel from the arm, and pulling dampener arm up and to the right. With Arm removed, if jamming decreases or is eliminated, you've confirmed it was the gap issue.
I still think it's important to have the dampener arm in place to get the most accurate sorting. Moving coins are suppose to "Eclippse" the fixed sample coin, and the dampener arm serves to move the coin to the left as it falls, ensuring that it passes the sample coin for the best reading.
Sometimes the factory sets these ever so slightly wide and it allows a coin to wedge in behind it and thus the jammed chute. FIRST LOOK at the coin that started the problem, and you can see if this is the problem.

ALSO do not rule out a "worn insert plate" that causes lazy coins, even after lubing it this condition will cause them to jam.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee20 ... adjust.jpg
Ryedale
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby iatetacos » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:07 pm

Or save myself the trouble and ship it to you next pay day and pay you to figure out why they jam :)
iatetacos
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Ryedale » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:11 pm

iatetacos wrote:Or save myself the trouble and ship it to you next pay day and pay you to figure out why they jam :)

No problem, Email me for my address and remind me who you are from Realcent in the email please. andy@ryedalecoin.com

I can email the manual too. it's a PDF file.
Ryedale
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:44 pm

exbingoaddict wrote:HCBTT's ryedale is set to take it up to whole another level.

bahahahahaha :lol:
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:46 pm

someone going on a diet?
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing