Clipped planchet

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Clipped planchet

Postby iatetacos » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:32 pm

So I'm in the middle of a massive sort ($2300 face) and I found a mostly blank planchet that has "ica" stamped slightly on the edge. Pics to follow but it there any value in this kind of error coin?
iatetacos
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Clipped planchet

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:38 pm

Is it like the one my son found--http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1788
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby iatetacos » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:26 am

Exactly like that!
iatetacos
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:10 am

From http://jimscoins.com/error_coin_examples.php

Off center
Coin struck without a collar and off center, different from the uncentered broadstrike because part of the lettering or design detail is missing.

Curved Clipped Planchet
Planchets are punched from large thin metal sheets. After a section of the sheet is punched, if the sheet fails to be fed far enough ahead, the punch will overlap an already punched area causing that planchet to have a circular "clip" of missing metal. A good way to tell if the coin is an error or simply damage that occurred outside the mint is to look for signs of metal flow into the blank area, which indicates a genuine clip. This will appear as weakness and thinness around the missing metal. There will also often be a corresponding area of weakness on the rim of the opposite side of the coin, known as the "Blakesley effect." A genuine clip will never show a raised edge of metal bordering the missing metal (which usually indicates shearing) and the details bordering the area of missing metal should not be crisp.

So I think you have a off center coin.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing