Found a small tribe!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Found a small tribe!

Postby baggerman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Went through 3 of the 4 the bags I picked up last week. First two had about 45% copper and 42 wheats between the two bags, this is what we found in the 3rd bag.
Attachments
rsz_1rsz_100_2889.jpg
rsz_1rsz_100_2889.jpg (240.69 KiB) Viewed 289 times
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Found a small tribe!

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:06 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'd be happy with 45% Cu,
7 IHC's is awesome!
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:16 pm

BULLY!

You need to research that counterstamped one.

That might be a serious home run!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby John Reich » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Thogey wrote:BULLY!

I agree with Thogey! I have a 1987 edition of Brunk (standard guide for counterstamped coins) and your counterstamp wasn't listed. Steve Hayden is a dealer who's into counterstamps--he may be able to help. You can Google him to locate his web site. Does someone have a newer edition of Brunk that may list this counterstamp? I'm going to guess that it is worth more than a normal 1863 cent.
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby baggerman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:56 pm

John Reich wrote:
Thogey wrote:BULLY!

I agree with Thogey! I have a 1987 edition of Brunk (standard guide for counterstamped coins) and your counterstamp wasn't listed. Steve Hayden is a dealer who's into counterstamps--he may be able to help. You can Google him to locate his web site. Does someone have a newer edition of Brunk that may list this counterstamp? I'm going to guess that it is worth more than a normal 1863 cent.

I tried to google the company but no luck. I would be grateful for any info on it.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John Reich » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:05 pm

Steve Hayden's website is www.civilwartokens.com. I'm sure if you email him a photo he could tell you something about your counterstamped coin. I've dealt with him and he's a great guy.
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:36 pm

There seems to have been a G. W. Peeler in North Carolina in the late 19th century circa 1870 going into the early 20th century, associated with metal works. Might be a good research starting point.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby baggerman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:44 pm

John Reich wrote:Steve Hayden's website is http://www.civilwartokens.com. I'm sure if you email him a photo he could tell you something about your counterstamped coin. I've dealt with him and he's a great guy.

Thanks I sent him an email with a pic of just the one coin.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby baggerman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:38 am

Got a reply from Steve on the counterstamped penny.

"Sorry I have no information on that one. Cast Steel is a fairly common with counterstamps of this period. I would guess is has a retail value of around $50 or so. More if you can figure out who issued it. You might try the internet through Google or an genealogical site. Steve"

I am pretty stoked!
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing