Break-Even Analysis on Selling Copper Pennies on eBay

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Break-Even Analysis on Selling Copper Pennies on eBay

Postby camtender » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Have you ever asked yourself "Should I be selling pennies on eBay, is it worth my time/effort"

Maybe this will help

Utilizing the best/most simple eBay calculator I have found yet.

http://salecalc.com/

Assuming you are the following:

1) Standard seller on eBay (non-Top Rated, no PayPal volume discounts),
2) Free shipping to buyer,
3) USPS Medium Flat Rate on-line purchasing, including approximate tape expense @ $11.50 and
4) Not including fuel on pick up and return of zincs.

Break-Even would approximately be a sales price of $127.00

With 1)Top-Rated and 2)Mid-PayPal discounts applied, Break-Even is approximately $124.00

Please add to analysis or suggestion on amending analysis.
Last edited by camtender on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Re: Break-Even Analysis on Selling Copper Pennies on eBay

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:32 pm

Acquisition costs? How much time and actual cost is there to sorting per CTU?
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Acquisition costs? How much time and actual cost is there to sorting per CTU?

Ahh don't think that's the point he driving with his original post. Simply put I believe he showing you what it would cost to "sell" on ebay w/ shipping per CTU over other avaiable options hence the statement, is it worth it for "you" to sell on Ebay. But yes in general, one must first calculate their Acquisition cost in order to move to Step two and determine selling costs. Everyone's acquisition cost will be different and I do believe that why he just skipped that step :) Nice post and I thank it will/can be very useful information for everybody Cam..

Scotty
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Nice post camtender.

Very informative.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:22 pm

ScottyTX wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:Acquisition costs? How much time and actual cost is there to sorting per CTU?

Ahh don't think that's the point he driving with his original post. Simply put I believe he showing you what it would cost to "sell" on ebay w/ shipping per CTU over other avaiable options hence the statement, is it worth it for "you" to sell on Ebay. But yes in general, one must first calculate their Acquisition cost in order to move to Step two and determine selling costs. Everyone's acquisition cost will be different and I do believe that why he just skipped that step :) Nice post and I thank it will/can be very useful information for everybody Cam..

Scotty

I see. I agree that this is a great post. The acquisition costs can add up to the person wanting to sell on eBay. It is important to consider that number for anyone contemplating the profitable sale of CTU's in any venue. eBay certainly adds to the selling costs.

To expand on this, Cam, perhaps there is a formula to determine acquisition costs which is adaptable to each seller's circumstances. Fuel, vehicle wear and tear, equipment depreciation, time, etc. are some variables. If you had all of this information, then you can add the "cost per CTU" to the "eBay selling cost" and figure out the "minimum profitable selling price"
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby m83striker » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:39 pm

I like this idea!!! We just need someone to make a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and share it with everyone. That way it can be a "living" changeable spreadsheet that will evolve daily according to the market and percentages of copper coins that you are collecting. If your percentages increase then it takes less of everything to make your CTU. I really like this idea.
m83striker
Penny Pincher Member

Postby spacemanX » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:59 pm

agree great thread here. been wondering what the estimated break even point would be.
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby duane1966 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:06 pm

And for each additional dollar the auction goes above the $127 break even point you would be making about .88 cents profit
duane1966
Penny Pincher Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:13 pm

duane1966 wrote:And for each additional dollar the auction goes above the $127 break even point you would be making about .88 cents profit

Woo hoo! I sorted $100 worth of cents and made 88 cents!
barrytrot

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:52 pm

barrytrot wrote:
duane1966 wrote:And for each additional dollar the auction goes above the $127 break even point you would be making about .88 cents profit

Woo hoo! I sorted $100 worth of cents and made 88 cents!

WOW! :o

Don't spend it all in one place, eh? :lol:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thepennyfund » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Very Interesting Post!
Please check out my site http://thepennyfund.weebly.com/ I buy and sell Pre-1982 pennies by the pound. I'm happy to negotiate realistic offers that make sense for both parties. Let's see if we can make a deal.

New Jersey Residents: $150 CTUs - (Cash Only) We can meet daytime in a public place. PM me to set up an appointment.
thepennyfund

Postby camtender » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 pm

Once thing to consider is that there is a benefit to selling at Break-Even to the extent you need to learn (or practice) how to package copper pennies. Also an easy way increase your seller's volume to get to Top-Rate Seller status.
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby thripp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:23 pm

camtender wrote:Once thing to consider is that there is a benefit to selling at Break-Even to the extent you need to learn (or practice) how to package copper pennies. Also an easy way increase your seller's volume to get to Top-Rate Seller status.

Not to mention the risk of the box being lost in shipment, or dropped, or stolen, or broken. The box could also get stolen after being delivered if it's left at the door, or the buyer could complain and demand a refund because there weren't enough wheat pennies, or some other stupid excuse. Plus, the bags to hold the coins cost money. Your time, gas, electricity, and wear and tear on the Ryedale are also worth money. On the plus side, you might get some good wheats out of it if you do the resort on the coppers.
thripp
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:24 pm

thripp wrote:
camtender wrote:Once thing to consider is that there is a benefit to selling at Break-Even to the extent you need to learn (or practice) how to package copper pennies. Also an easy way increase your seller's volume to get to Top-Rate Seller status.

Not to mention the risk of the box being lost in shipment, or dropped, or stolen, or broken. The box could also get stolen after being delivered if it's left at the door, or the buyer could complain and demand a refund because there weren't enough wheat pennies, or some other stupid excuse. Plus, the bags to hold the coins cost money. Your time, gas, electricity, and wear and tear on the Ryedale are also worth money. On the plus side, you might get some good wheats out of it if you do the resort on the coppers.

Ah yes, now I remember why I don't sell on eBay anymore. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby My2Cents » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:22 am

I've bought a few CTUs off of Ebay back in the day (the pre-RC days)... and whenever I wanted more boxes, I just contacted the previous seller and made purchases directly from him. So while the break even point may be fixed at $124-$127, don't forget the repeat sales OUTSIDE of Ebay that come as well.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:43 am

True.. I did do a lot of after the eBay sale business with several customers. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Diggin4copper » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:22 am

I charge the buyer for shipping.... helps with the bottom line
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:38 am

And eBay charges you FV fees on your shipping. They want you to charge fair shipping charges to your buyers, but they want to take a bite out of you shipping charge to the buyer as well. You have to overcharge on shipping just to break even on it. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:13 am

Another thought is that I never make bank runs anymore. Meaning, if I'm out doing other errands, that's when I buy or dump. Since both banks are on my way to go anywhere! No special gas guzzling trips....unless I run to Chicago to exchange the copper for frn's!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Trapper30 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43 pm

The paypal discount will depend on your monthly $ volume
Trapper30

Postby uthminsta » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:00 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Another thought is that I never make bank runs anymore. Meaning, if I'm out doing other errands, that's when I buy or dump. Since both banks are on my way to go anywhere! No special gas guzzling trips....unless I run to Chicago to exchange the copper for frn's!

Good point. All my profits are low enough, if I took gas into consideration on all those pickups and dumps, fuhgeddaboutit!
uthminsta

Postby pipster » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:46 pm

did the percentages of fees and cost my self last night on some completed listings they had
sold for $156 free ship
ebay final sell fee comes to about 14.04
shipping 11.35
pay pal cut 4.83

20.22 in fees
so that leaves you with a profit of

so no it is not worth it
but if you have fun pulling wheats and copper and don't mind selling a few ctu's go for it you are already sorting for yourself it is a hobby
pipster

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing