BOK out of the coin business

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

BOK out of the coin business

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:33 am

It has been a while since I sorted any coins. Yesterday, I took in a bag full of zincs to convert into some folding money.

I walked into the bank where I have my commercial accounts and did not see the coin counting machine in the lobby. "Where is the coin counter?" I asked. "We don't have them anymore." was the reply.

It turns out they have removed all coin counting machines from all their bank locations. That is significant. The Bank of Oklahoma (BOK) is the largest bank in Oklahoma. There are now a lot of people who can't convert their coins into FRN.

Now you have to deposit the coins in a BOK bag and they ship the bags of coins to a central location. The bags of coins are opened there and counted by BOK staff. You have to accept their count and the amount will not appear on your account until ten business days have passed.

I told them I was not willing to do that. "Well, then you have to use CoinStar at a grocery store. That is your only other option." I laughed at the guy. "No, there are lots of other options! There are other banks for me to do business with!"

I have struggled with BOK for over three years now about coins. Their Vault Teller has complained long & loud about how her vaults do not have room for coins. I guess she won the argument with bank management. Their new policy will drive away anyone who deals in coins. Be they coin sorters, collectors, or small businesses that accept coins in transactions in their businesses. Businesses like gas stations and retail outlets will not be willing to wait ten business days to have access to their money.

Would anyone in Oklahoma want to recommend a new bank to me?
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Re: BOK out of the coin business

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:08 am

MidFirst
BancFirst

both will let you dump large amounts. Not all have counters and some have them in the back but I can easily go in with 2k at my branches with no issues. So I visit 2 or 3 on the same day.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:46 am

reddirtcoins wrote:MidFirst
BancFirst

both will let you dump large amounts. Not all have counters and some have them in the back but I can easily go in with 2k at my branches with no issues. So I visit 2 or 3 on the same day.

Thanks, RDC. There is a MidFirst not far from me. I will open an account with them next week.

2K per bank and 2 or 3 branches on the same day! WTG! That is some serious coin sorting!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:24 am

They are just like any other bank. pain-in-the--@#@
I walked into one branch (bancfirst) that I have been getting pennies from for a year and asked to order halves. they said no. 2 weeks later my daughters boy-friend ask and they said yes. matter of fact 2 people now get halves there.
(midfirst) all branches around me said no but on the southside of town I know people who can order from them and do.

All have been ok with dumping if they have a machine. some even let you fill the outside machine up a few times.

just be sure to ask before you open an account.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:52 am

And I was wondering why the Bank of Korea was out of the coin business... ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:28 pm

68Camaro wrote:And I was wondering why the Bank of Korea was out of the coin business... ;)

:lol:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:07 pm

68Camaro wrote:And I was wondering why the Bank of Korea was out of the coin business... ;)

Me too!
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing