Blank Planchet in a CWR

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Blank Planchet in a CWR

Postby John Reich » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:49 pm

I went to my bank yesterday for my weekly penny fix. Normally I only get $5.00 worth, but my teller said she had an extra $10.00 worth she would like to get rid of. As she's laying them on the counter I notice that about 12 of the rolls have old-timey, crusty wrappers. They all turned out to be solid copper, with the latest penny dated 1979. Only a couple of corroded common wheats in the rolls, but I did find 16 "S" mint memorial cents. The high light of the rolls was that one had a blank, type II copper planchet! The blank weighs 3.11 grams, so I belive it's real. Anyhow, it's another "first" in my cent searching. Still looking for my first Indian cent, though!
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Re: Blank Planchet in a CWR

Postby marine70 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:32 am

I have found several blanks, like you I weigh them then put them in a two by two. I believe they are just considered an error so I just keep them. I have found several indians some better than others. However my best find to date was a 1909 S VDB which I flipped the next day for a profit of $499.99. Happy hunting keep it up you will find your indian just be patient.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:18 am

Fun find. Two years ago justoneguy posted about how the mint give planchets to school kids . From http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1876&p=16304&hilit=mint+school#p16304

by justoneguy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:12 am

I can't get much info out of my 1st grade daughter, but she came home from school
with this seal mint package containing a 2010 sheild cent and an unstamped or blank? cent.
all she would say is that the people who make pennies came to school.

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Gobirds66 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:11 am

I was at the World's Fair of Money in Philadelphia this year and the US Mint was giving away the same package (only the 2012 version) to everyone who visited the Mint's booth. Of course I made my wife get one too. She did not want to, but I made her. Then I took them both :) The guy had a whole box of them but i just could not think of a way to swipe the whole box and get away with it. I am clumsy and would have tripped and then gotten taken out to the woodshed for sure.

It is funny that the Mint actually gives out what amounts to an error coin for free. I have to think that someday this stuff will be worth a couple cents more than face.
If they give you lined paper, write the other way....
Gobirds66
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing