Anyone have luck selling locally?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Anyone have luck selling locally?

Postby pipster » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:59 pm

wondering if anyone has had any luck selling ctu's locally through craigslist?
pipster

Re: Anyone have luck selling locally?

Postby bgretz1989 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:46 pm

I buy through Craigslist as long as the price is right so there are deals out there to be made!
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby baggerman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:30 pm

I have sold a few CTUs through CL and I did get a call the other day from a guy that "says" he wants $1000 face at 1.5X. We will see if this deal pans out, if it does it will take about 90% of my stack.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheba » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:46 pm

That seems like a good price at this time. Hope it all works out for you! Best regards!
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby ScrapMetal » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:29 pm

A few months back, I sold $1400 FV of copper for $1800 via Craigslist. He was the only responder, and indicated if he had the money would buy my future copper. I sorted that $1400 all by hand, but have now acquired a penny hopper feeding a comparator. My 2 hour hand sort per $50 bag, has gone down to 20 minutes which includes double sorting the resulting copper. I average about 28% copper per $50 bag, and have access to about $1500 to $2000 in pennies per month. I prefer to sell my copper and realize the gain, instead of sitting on it.
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:30 am

ScrapMetal wrote:A few months back, I sold $1400 FV of copper for $1800 via Craigslist. He was the only responder, and indicated if he had the money would buy my future copper. I sorted that $1400 all by hand, but have now acquired a penny hopper feeding a comparator. My 2 hour hand sort per $50 bag, has gone down to 20 minutes which includes double sorting the resulting copper. I average about 28% copper per $50 bag, and have access to about $1500 to $2000 in pennies per month. I prefer to sell my copper and realize the gain, instead of sitting on it.

Nice job finding a large-scale local buyer. Eliminating alot of overhead that way. What is your storage method? I just put $100 face in a medium flat rate box and tape it up. I find $1 rolls of packing tape at my CVS.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:57 pm

For the $1400, I stored the copper in the Brinks boxes that the rolls came in, but as loose coins, I could only fit $20 worth per box.
When the person from Craigslist wanted to meet in public, I then realized that I must load up my car with 70 boxes of these coins.
While loading his car from mine, he mentioned that he had purchased some other copper that were in the plastic bags. He told me that the seller accidentally dropped a bag that broke open when it hit the pavement... pennies everywhere.
I now store the copper in $100 lots, in the flat rate boxes with lots of tape.
There have been a few other copper penny ads here on the Minneapolis Craigslist, but I think were asking close to 50% markup. They have since disappeared.
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby thripp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:20 am

I sold a CTU on Craigslist for $200 + shipping once. That was a great day...
thripp
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:27 am

I had a regular buyer who used to purchase 68lbs for $140. I would meet him in the parking lot of Starbucks with my bags of coppers and my luggage scale. Unfortunately, he disappeared and I haven't found another customer like him.

So now I sell mini-CTU's on ebay when I need cash flow. In spite of the ebay fees and paypal fees, you still get a higher price for your coppers on ebay. The only thing I dread is if I have to pay taxes on my ebay sales. But that's another thread :cry:
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:22 pm

I put an add on CL and the only inquiry I had was from someone named Adam looking to buy the whole lot. If I could move the first $1000 sorted by hand for even $1250 I'd seriously consider a sorter.
Derek: You should only have to pay tax on profit made, keep track of your time spent, gas wasted, electricity used, storage space rented at your own house, you should be able to prove that your are somehow operating at a loss, no tax payment required. The customer is supposed to pay the sales tax.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby kiwiman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:17 pm

what does CTU stand for again? (yes i came out of around a year of lurking just because i had forgotten this and it is annoying me so much!)
You could be sorting right now.
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Postby mishra142 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Copper trading unit. 68 lbs of copper pennies or approx $100 face value.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing