Internal Rejects

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Internal Rejects

Postby Romalae » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:06 pm

So I was at my local credit union today doing a routine zinc dump. When the bags in the machine filled up and the teller opened it up to haul off the full bags, I took a glance at the internal rejects bin and was shocked at what I saw. Handfuls of pennies, most of which were not beaten up, tarnished, or corroded in any way were just sitting there. It kind of bothered me because I would at least expect these coins to enter the external rejects slot, but alas that was not the case. I hadn't looked extensively at this region of the machine in past dumps much, but this time it appeared considerably worrisome.

Does anyone have any information about the internal rejection bins within coin machines and why this could be happening? Is this a fluke or is it symptomatic of a widespread improper rejection issue that manifests itself frequently in coin machines across the nation?
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Internal Rejects

Postby willy13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:20 pm

I have never seen the internal reject tray on the machine I use. When I first started using it 2 years ago I was nervous about the count so I weighed my pennies before dumping. So far the count has been correct. And oddly the reciept will often show a couple dimes even though I know for sure there were none in the bag.
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:25 pm

You know, that is unaccounted for cash. They toss it in the trash. My daughter carries a glad bag when we dump and always asks for the internal trash bin. We love the del la ray machines. That is where all of the large coins are. We've made about 25 ounces of silver this year. A lot of 925 also and yes, we always dig in the trash can.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Romalae wrote:....Does anyone have any information about the internal rejection bins within coin machines and why this could be happening? .........

I can not speak intelligently about the workings of the specific machine you use, but when things like this have happened with machines I have dumped into, it usually meant that:
a) the sensor needed cleaning.
b) someone had deposited wet coins, and when the part that spins at high speeds becomes wet, many perfectly fine (but now wet) coins get rejected.

As for why the rejected coins may not be making it all the way out of the machine and back to the customer, that could be as simple as the degree/pitch of the reject tube not having enough of an angle down towards the return slot.

These are just a few of the things I have noticed when encountering problems similar to those that you have described. Hope this helps.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Is it this one from a past thread of ours--http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11606&hilit=+magnet You should look at this knowledge that they are in there a new source of fun new finds it a good chance the whats in there go in the trash. You might ask them to save the junk for you.

I am starting this thread of of were to look for the free coins on the magnet. I will post photos of different coin counters and were Franklin get his free coins. As you all know not all bank people have a sense of humor.So I will add more photo when I can take them. Please add your photos too.
You can see Franklin's finds here.-http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8274

Today counter Cummings Jet sort -- You can pull coins of the magnet by sticking your fingers under were the coin go in and pull them off with out having to get a teller.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Romalae » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:15 pm

The exterior of the machine looks similar to this image:

willy13 wrote:I have never seen the internal reject tray on the machine I use. When I first started using it 2 years ago I was nervous about the count so I weighed my pennies before dumping. So far the count has been correct. And oddly the reciept will often show a couple dimes even though I know for sure there were none in the bag.

Usually one penny a dump gets counted as a dime in my circumstances. Might be a good idea to weigh before dumping, although opportunity-cost comes into play; I wouldn't say it's worth it to spend all that time weighing the zincies just so you are aware about whether or not you lost a few afterwards.

reddirtcoins wrote:You know, that is unaccounted for cash. They toss it in the trash. My daughter carries a glad bag when we dump and always asks for the internal trash bin. We love the del la ray machines. That is where all of the large coins are. We've made about 25 ounces of silver this year. A lot of 925 also and yes, we always dig in the trash can.

Do they have any hesitation when you and your daughter ask for the internal trash bin? I feel like if I were to do this, they'd refuse.

CardsNCoins wrote:a) the sensor needed cleaning.
b) someone had deposited wet coins, and when the part that spins at high speeds becomes wet, many perfectly fine (but now wet) coins get rejected.

As for why the rejected coins may not be making it all the way out of the machine and back to the customer, that could be as simple as the degree/pitch of the reject tube not having enough of an angle down towards the return slot.

These explanations do make a lot of sense. Though small, I suppose several different factors can impair the proper facilitation of coin exchange.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing