camera question

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

camera question

Postby penny pretty » Fri May 11, 2012 6:54 pm

I am looking to buy a digital camera to post some pics of my finds. can anyone who has done this tell me what zoom and megapixels I should have to get some nice close-ups?? I dont want to spend too much, as taking penny pictures is about all I will do with it. My amazon giftcard account is getting pretty big via dumping zincs through coinstar, so a camera is my next purchase, TY for any help.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: camera question

Postby Verbane » Fri May 11, 2012 7:22 pm

My suggestion would be a flat bed scanner. I've never had much luck with the camera.

This is one I scanned this week:

Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:26 pm

Neat coin!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri May 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Verbane wrote:My suggestion would be a flat bed scanner. I've never had much luck with the camera.

This is one I scanned this week:

+1
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Bluegill » Fri May 11, 2012 8:22 pm

My personal preference is a camera. It gives you better color rendition and better contrast.

In answer to your question. Any mid grade or better camera properly adjusted and with a macro setting will give you good results. Good lighting makes more of a difference than everything else put together. My personal preferences are Nikon or Canon.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Shifty51 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:02 pm

I use a Nikon CoolPix and on the micro aka close up mode it does excellent. These cameras do a great job and are pretty affordable being only $100 or so. Also once you have taken the pictures place them on your computer and open the picture with a photo edit software like office picture manager. Resize the picture to 300 x 300 to make it fit on the forum.
He who does not respect the penny is not worthy of the dollar
Shifty51
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri May 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Sony Cyber-shot.......DSC-T99.......(optical steady shot) 14.1 mega pixels.

Nice macro for your coins......

Then it's great for regular pics.

TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby DebtFreeMe » Fri May 11, 2012 11:35 pm

WOW... Nice camera, like the filled 9 and the bass boat...
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat May 12, 2012 12:05 am

DebtFreeMe wrote:WOW... Nice camera, like the filled 9 and the bass boat...

Did you see the letters in "LIBERTY"? or the die crack/lamination in Abe's skull?

Bassboat....all I see is a fancy storage system....it's an over/under style. (working on that)
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Engineer » Sat May 12, 2012 4:13 am

You don't need a really fancy camera, but a good budget setup is at least a 10 megapixel with a macro setting and a time delay feature, a steady tripod, and a couple daylight spectrum CFL lights. If you're happy with that, stick with it...or you can keep going and easily spend $10K on a nice DSL, lens, professional lights, and diffusers.

One tip though...if you can find a budget camera with a nice big lens, I'd choose that one over the standard pinhole cameras. A nice lens really does make a difference.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby BCD11 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:25 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Sony Cyber-shot.......DSC-T99.......(optical steady shot) 14.1 mega pixels.

Nice macro for your coins......

Then it's great for regular pics.

WOW!!!

I'm going to your bank if you get boats in your coin boxes!! One question, how big was the box that beauty came in?
BCD11
Penny Sorter Member

Postby jacer333 » Sat May 12, 2012 11:29 am

Must have been quite the coin counter to allow a beauty of a boat like that to slip through back into circulation!
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby penny pretty » Sun May 13, 2012 5:41 pm

thanks guys, so Im getting the megapixels and macro are more important than zoom for closeups?(sorry I am camera illiterate) thanks again, and Ill start looking at amazon!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun May 13, 2012 5:47 pm

penny pretty wrote:thanks guys, so Im getting the megapixels and macro are more important than zoom for closeups?(sorry I am camera illiterate) thanks again, and Ill start looking at amazon!

A good macro setting takes the place of the zoom fuction. I think a minimum of 10 mega-pixels is a good place to start.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Engineer » Sun May 13, 2012 8:09 pm

penny pretty wrote:thanks guys, so Im getting the megapixels and macro are more important than zoom for closeups?(sorry I am camera illiterate) thanks again, and Ill start looking at amazon!

Zoom is for far away. Macro is for closeups.

If you feel like you need to zoom, your camera is too far away. Ideally, you should be able to shoot your pictures from 2-3" away, where the coin will fill the screen. More megapixels will let you zoom in on your computer screen to see fine details.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tinhorn » Mon May 14, 2012 6:13 pm

From my old 5-megapixel Sony CyberShot, cropped with Paint.net (free), and reduced by 50% with Irfanview (also free).
Attachments
Lincoln Memorial.jpg
Lincoln Memorial.jpg (135.78 KiB) Viewed 882 times
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby penny pretty » Wed May 16, 2012 11:50 pm

TY engineer, macro for closeups. guess thats what I was trying to find out, but didnt know how to ask. thanks tinhorn for the sample also. thats about all I would need.
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Madwest » Fri May 18, 2012 9:58 am

Shifty51 wrote:...once you have taken the pictures place them on your computer and open the picture with a photo edit software like office picture manager. Resize the picture to 300 x 300 to make it fit on the forum.

I like the PowerToy for image resizing. Just install it and then you can right-click on the file and resize without even opening it. You can either create a copy of the desired size or size down the original. http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/
ShortcutMenu.png
ShortcutMenu.png (63.07 KiB) Viewed 836 times

Size Select.png
Size Select.png (17.2 KiB) Viewed 836 times
Madwest
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri May 18, 2012 10:54 am

Madwest wrote:
Shifty51 wrote:...once you have taken the pictures place them on your computer and open the picture with a photo edit software like office picture manager. Resize the picture to 300 x 300 to make it fit on the forum.

I like the PowerToy for image resizing. Just install it and then you can right-click on the file and resize without even opening it. You can either create a copy of the desired size or size down the original. http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/
ShortcutMenu.png

Size Select.png

THANKS for that hint. I had been using photobucket with great success. But, photobucket decided to change EVERYTHING. Their redesign IS NOT user friendly. I could resize a picture for here in 20 seconds. Now after a good hour I can't figure out how to do just about ANY of their editing now. Looks like I'm shopping for another photo workshop.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby penny pretty » Fri May 18, 2012 11:48 pm

cant I use paint? I have windows7 64 bit dell. resize i will remember that also. everyone here is the BEST. thank you.
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby penny pretty » Sat May 26, 2012 12:14 am

i bought a cybershot 14.1 MP. wish me luck,seems like this camera can do a lot more than what I need it for, and the instructions are a little overwhelming. I will try a few pics on easy, or auto mode, and see what I get.
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat May 26, 2012 10:20 am

penny pretty wrote:i bought a cybershot 14.1 MP. wish me luck,seems like this camera can do a lot more than what I need it for, and the instructions are a little overwhelming. I will try a few pics on easy, or auto mode, and see what I get.

Nice choice. Find your menu button...should be top left of your touch screen. Find the little flower for your macro shots. Start playing with "close auto-focus". Try with then without the flash. The best light is natural sunlight. Have some fun then post us some good ones!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Josh. » Sat May 26, 2012 12:54 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:THANKS for that hint. I had been using photobucket with great success. But, photobucket decided to change EVERYTHING. Their redesign IS NOT user friendly. I could resize a picture for here in 20 seconds. Now after a good hour I can't figure out how to do just about ANY of their editing now. Looks like I'm shopping for another photo workshop.

Have you ever tried GIMP? It can do a bunch of things, and there is a lot of documentation (including on resizing images). A lot of it is excessive for my "low level" image editing. For normal resizing, I just use "pbrush" a.k.a. "mspaint." :)
The above post does not contain professional advice or similar information.
Josh.

Postby penny pretty » Sat May 26, 2012 8:26 pm

TY jonas, and all.NOW i found I really need a tripod, ordered one of the flexible ones cheap, see if it does the job for a table shot.
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Numis Pam » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:32 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:
penny pretty wrote:i bought a cybershot 14.1 MP. wish me luck,seems like this camera can do a lot more than what I need it for, and the instructions are a little overwhelming. I will try a few pics on easy, or auto mode, and see what I get.

Nice choice. Find your menu button...should be top left of your touch screen. Find the little flower for your macro shots. Start playing with "close auto-focus". Try with then without the flash. The best light is natural sunlight. Have some fun then post us some good ones!

I was just reading this old thread and found this info to be very helpful.... just wanted to bring it up to the top of my posts again.. :shh:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing