Youtube of The Future of Money: Dollars and Sense

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Youtube of The Future of Money: Dollars and Sense

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:10 am

I found the youtube of The Future of Money: Dollars and Sense from http://financialservices.house.gov/calendar/eventsingle.aspx?EventID=312621

The best statement was "If the metal for the penny were free, we would still exceed one cent."
WITNESS LIST

Panel I:

Mr. Richard A. Peterson, Deputy Director, United States Mint
Ms. Lorelei St. James, Director, Physical Infrastructure Issues, Government Accountability Office
Ms. Beverley Lepine, Chief Operating Officer, Royal Canadian Mint

Panel II:

The Honorable Philip Diehl, former Director, United States Mint
Mr. James Miller, former Director, Office of Management and Budget
Mr. Mark Weller, Americans for Common Cents
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Youtube of The Future of Money: Dollars and Sense

Postby uthminsta » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:17 pm

henrysmedford wrote:The best statement was "If the metal for the penny were free, we would still exceed one cent."

Haven't watched the video yet, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But I find that sentence hard to believe. If the coins were made out of aluminum, and WEREN'T PLATED or anything, couldn't it be done efficiently enough to make it worth doing?
Not that I am a proponent for keeping them or anything. It's just... shrug... I don't know.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Wow!!!, did you catch Mr. Peterson's comment???
"We look forward to continuing the R&D in the coming months and years and have an active plan teed up for 2013"

WOW... They are not even close. We have 3 or more years! I guess we will know when the report comes out in a few days but, if you hear what he said and If you read the coin act; http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hr6162/text

It states, “..(a) Report Required- Before the end of the 2-year period beginning on the date of the enactment of this Act, and at 2-year intervals..”
!!!! and at 2-year intervals !!!!

This is going to drag out. Good news that is, IF they don't license Canada's technology. :shock:
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:07 pm

I have a feeling this game will evolve a lot over the next 1-5 years. (in reference to the penny and nickel sorting game)
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:44 pm

henrysmedford wrote:The best statement was "If the metal for the penny were free, we would still exceed one cent."

Okay, that is right around the 9 minute mark in the video. I think it is very interesting to note what he said DIRECTLY after that:
"On the nickel, I will say, that we looked at the 29 different compositions, that I mentioned, there were several promising alternatives..."
WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE THE 29 DIFFERENT COMPOSITIONS?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing