White Pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

White Pennies

Postby m83striker » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I had to make a trip to Detroit for work. After looking at my work destination on Mapquest I discovered that there were (4) of my bank branches within 5 minutes of each other. I decided to do some drive-bys Wednesday after I was done with work. The first and second stop produced (1) $25 box each. I was impressed because lately I have been told that they can only give me coin if I order them a week in advance. I walked into the third bank and asked the teller if I could get some "spare" pennies if they had any. She gave me a puzzled look and I explained that I understand if they didn't have any and that I was just stopping by on my way through town. She stated that it was funny that I asked this because a "little old lady" had just dropped off some pennies about an hour earlier. I immediately said that I would take them and she said "she made several trips in because she had $85.00 worth". I still said that I would take them and took the empty bank bag out of my jacket pocket. As she was pulling the rolls out from under the counter she said that it was strange that all the rolls had dates written on them like it was from a collection. My heart immediately started pounding as I was taking each roll from her and putting it in the bag. I was filling my bag with rolls that said 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's. There were several rolls that didn't say anything, but then we were seeing rolls that said "white". I could barely contain myself until I got back to my hotel room, but I still forced myself to go and get my "regular" $25 box from the last bank. For all of you that thought I should have asked if she brought anything else to the bank.....well I did. She only brought pennies this time, but I gave the teller my business card in case she might come back in the next day or two. Well, all the rolls were correct and my Wheat penny collection just exploded. I found a small Indian tribe in one of the non-marked rolls, but the best part was the "white" rolls. Some of you probably already guessed, but they were all solid Steel pennies!!!
m83striker
Penny Pincher Member

Re: White Pennies

Postby Thogey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Bully!

Elderly Old Widow buries another coin collector
Last edited by Thogey on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Z00 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:11 pm

THE WIDOW strikes again!
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. It's a "White Christmas!" :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby fasteddy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:05 pm

So-wheat... :thumbup:
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Pictures or it didn't happen....
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:31 pm

At a $40 pick up today 5 rolls were marked 1970s- all circulated coins from the 1970's, not solid BU 1970-S like I was hoping :D Also 1 roll marked 1981 - and it was solid circulated 81's. Cool find. Sorry I can't match you or hoard though!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:23 am

Awesome find. I need to find a bank with CWR...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numis Pam » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:49 am

:clap: happy for you! but.... I sure wish my banks had CWR but they make everyone unroll the coins and put them through the counter, always!! :thumbdown:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:58 am

Numis Pam wrote::clap: happy for you! but.... I sure wish my banks had CWR but they make everyone unroll the coins and put them through the counter, always!! :thumbdown:

Same here there is no way I will ever get any silver in rolls. ALL the banks in my area require that you do the same thing when bringing in coins. Bust open all the rolls and run them through the counter. They even require this with my machine wrapped rolls.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:41 am

All the banks in my area lack the same thing.. counters! I am loving the CWR I picked up over the last week! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby m83striker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:55 am

All banks within an hour drive of me only take and give rolled coin. CWR's just about everytime I stop at the bank, lol. I have (2) banks that I have a standing order of pennies to pick up weekly and they always save all the CWR for me when I come in. Sometimes you get lucky.....sometimes you get the sticky, nasty pennies from the minivan cupholders!!!
m83striker
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:46 am

And sometimes you get the "pond pennies" :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby NHsorter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:54 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:And sometimes you get the "pond pennies" :mrgreen:

I just picked up about $10FV of cents that must have came out of the ground. Terrible batch. Ones like this I keep in my truck until I get a real grumpy teller somewhere. They certainly won't agree with a coin counter, they are bad. There is some copper mixed in, but I am not even gonna bother with it. Back it all goes!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby m83striker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:25 am

The really bad coins that I get from Metal detecting usually go into the rock tumbler with water and Borax detergent for 2 hours. They usually come out good enough to hit the Royal Sovereign and take back to the bank. I would never do this to any valuable coin, but dirt clad and dirt zinc shine up good enough to make it through the rolling machines.
m83striker
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jacer333 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Congrats on that exciting haul! Thanks for sharing.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing