Do you look at the teller's trays when you are at the bank

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Do you look at the teller's trays when you are at the bank

Postby Pennysaved » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:31 pm

I was at one of my dump banks for halves and saw a 1970s Canadian penny at the top of the teller's tray.

I asked her if that was a Canadian penny and what was she going to do with it. She told me she accidentally got it when someone turned in change. She told me she could not hand it back out in change so just gave it to me.

I also saw what I thought was a silver quarter 3 quarters the way up her tray. I told her she might think I am strange for asking but I asked her if I could see the 3rd quarter up her tray. She said oh this is a Canadian quarter I got in accidentally. She gave it to me flat out too.

She probably thought I was strange haha but I did get a Canadian penny and quarter for free.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Do you look at the teller's trays when you are at the ba

Postby twentybux » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Hey, strange is the name of the game. :D I know all the tellers I deal with think of me as being "not quite right". If hoarding coins is wrong, I don't want to be right! :mrgreen: Years from now, maybe they will have an "aha moment" where they realize I wasn't as quirky as they thought I was.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby misteroman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:52 pm

All the time. Feel like a stalker or crackhead though sometimes. Like I'm casing their cash drawer or something
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby bman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:16 pm

I can't help but look...my eyes go straight to it :oops:
Of course being almost 6'4" it's pretty easy to see over the counters. ;)
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:17 pm

yes, and cash registers, its like i cant stop......
TXBullion

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:37 pm

Yes......I have claimed a few silver halves that way. By a few I mean two 64's.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:40 pm

Not only my teller's tray but ALL of them that are out there. I like to spread out the attention to all of the pretty cougars at my bank.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby uthminsta » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:34 pm

I've noticed that a lot more places (restaurants, etc) are getting those machines which dispense coins automatically... the ones that have about 8-10 stacks of coins, in clear tubes, taunting you. I saw what I was certain was a silver dime, several dollars up from the bottom... it was all I could do to keep from saying, "Excuse me sir... could I trouble you to get me a specific coin?"

And more on topic, at a bank the other day, I asked about a dime in the teller's tray, and I asked for a dollar's worth of dimes. She gave them to me, but off the bottom instead of the top, so I said, "No, no, no... the one on the top!" She just looked at me and said, "Oh, it's not silver." The jig is up, boys! Obviously I won't be going back to her if I can avoid it.
uthminsta

Postby pennypicker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:34 pm

Yes, I always look at their trays but prior to that I ALWAYS survey their racks! :D :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CanadianNickle » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:44 am

I love looking in the drawers. You find all sorts of good stuff.
CanadianNickle

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:37 am

Haha yes I think we all look. They key is try not to get them to know that you are after a specific coin because sometimes once they realize what it is they won't give it to you.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby PreservingThePast » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:18 pm

For the ones that still keep them out on the counter, I am too short to see what is in it.

Most of our banks, though, have gone to keeping their cash drawer down in a locked drawer where no one can see in to it.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Back in the day, I can remember about being shy about asking the pretty teller if I could take a peak in her drawers. The other banks have their coins in a tray in clear site. Took me a couple of hours to figure out why she gave me her cell number.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Back in the day, I can remember about being shy about asking the pretty teller if I could take a peak in her drawers.

Were they pink? :lol:
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Spikeanator6982 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:08 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Back in the day, I can remember about being shy about asking the pretty teller if I could take a peak in her drawers. The other banks have their coins in a tray in clear site. Took me a couple of hours to figure out why she gave me her cell number.

how long ago was, back in the day, couldn't have been too long ago if you got a cell number. so what happened, do tell.
Spikeanator6982
Penny Collector Member

Postby BOHICA » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:22 pm

I always look when they open the till. I was Christmas shopping at a beauty supply store for my daughter, when the cashier opened the drawer, I saw a bunch of foreign coins. I asked if I could buy them and she just gave them to me. I dropped them all in my pocket (about 30 coins) and when I got home I went through them and found a 1903 V Nickle in with them.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing