A Feelgood Post: Coin Accumulation

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

A Feelgood Post: Coin Accumulation

Postby Romalae » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:58 pm

Welp, today is the first day of my Christmas break (finally!!), and after weeks of test after test after test and project after project after project at school, I can finally settle down with some good music by the Christmas tree with the following; the biggest haul I've ever raked in at one time:

This was all accumulated from the past month or so and I have finally reached the climax and am now due for a sorting spree. I must do a dump quickly so I actually have liquid paper money again for short term uses.

I will be busy! :shock:

I'll update what I find in this thread.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Re: A Feelgood Post: Coin Accumulation

Postby RedRockGirl » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Merry Christmas. Happy sorting!
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby spacemanX » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:50 pm

caffene or adult beverage will help. good hunting
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:26 pm

start with the highest denomination coins and work your way down to the cents, that way if you don't finish you can still dump and get most of your money back :thumbup:

Good luck!
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Romalae » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:17 am

RedRockGirl wrote:Merry Christmas. Happy sorting!

Merry Christmas and happy hunting to you too.

spacemanX wrote:caffene or adult beverage will help. good hunting

The latter may be a bit of a contraband activity due to my youthfulness, so I may have to refrain from it...as far as you're aware anyway...

bman wrote:start with the highest denomination coins and work your way down to the cents, that way if you don't finish you can still dump and get most of your money back

Good luck!

Yeah, plus the dimes are always the fastest for me because my pick up bank uses Brinks, and they roll coin in the clear plastic wrappers so I can just do an edge-sort. In the two boxes in the pictures, there was one silver Roosie from 1959. Decent, I guess. I'm working on the pennies now, but I may heed your advice and move on to nickels beforehand.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:01 am

Nice!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:39 am

Cool. I'll be sorting my first non-penny boxes this week... looking forward to it. Are you not able to get half dollars?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:50 am

I haven't sorted any pennies since September. I have a stash of 10 bags + some CRW to sort this week. Good luck. I like Bmans advice to sore the larger denomitions first. Once I bought $5600 in change from a coin counter at a bank. There were 7 bags if nicks. They sat in the garage for almost a year. I hate sorting nicks. Finally had to, as I needed to pay some bills.

Once again good luck
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Romalae » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:58 pm

scyther wrote:Cool. I'll be sorting my first non-penny boxes this week... looking forward to it. Are you not able to get half dollars?

Good luck to you; it's always nice to sort a few boxes of other coins in between the pennies -- the monotonous copper color becomes an eyesore after a while. I am able to get half dollars, and I have before, but since I don't really have a lot of cash and they're not circulated very much, it's difficult to get them in bulk for me. Ten rolls of halves off camera in that picture yielded me 2 40%ers.

knibloe wrote:I haven't sorted any pennies since September. I have a stash of 10 bags + some CRW to sort this week. Good luck. I like Bmans advice to sore the larger denomitions first. Once I bought $5600 in change from a coin counter at a bank. There were 7 bags if nicks. They sat in the garage for almost a year. I hate sorting nicks. Finally had to, as I needed to pay some bills.

Once again good luck

10 penny bags?! Goodness; if you're a handsorter, you're set to have a busy week! Happy hunting. As for nickel sorting, I used to hate it because nickels always seem to leave more of their black grime on your fingers than other denominations and because they don't turn up much treasure, but then I started wearing gloves and looking out for the pre-1960 nickels. It really helps to look for those to convince yourself that nickel hunting is worthwhile, despite there not being a huge market for them. Nothing wrong with a self-fulfilling prophecy if it takes away stress. That said though, lately, I've found an influx of War Nickels and Buffaloes, so it's re-energized me into sorting nickels.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Much work ahead of you!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Romalae wrote:As for nickel sorting, I used to hate it because nickels always seem to leave more of their black grime on your fingers than other denominations

That surprises me; they usually seem so much cleaner than pennies. Guess I'll find out soon...
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby penny pretty » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:55 pm

well the red and green are christmas colors! make a tree out of the empty boxes!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Romalae » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 pm

Well I don't mean to bump, but I did say I would post any special finds from this batch of coins I sorted over the Christmas Break. And alas, here is a special beauty; the most valuable penny I think I've ever acquired through coin roll hunting -- a 1910-S! I'd grade it somewhere in between VG and F, you make the call (it has noticeable wear, but it does have most of its distinct features intact). Needless to say, I'm pretty happy (although I found it several days ago and didn't come around to posting until now).

Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:58 am

Wow! That one looks great...Congrats!!! :angel:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jacer333 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:40 am

Wow, incredible find this early in your sorting career! Congrats and best wishes to many more :)
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:54 am

Very nice find.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby spacemanX » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:23 am

Congrats. still looking for an early mint mark. best i did was 1919s
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby spacemanX » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:24 am

Congrats. still looking for an early mint mark. best i did was 1919s
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Romalae » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:53 am

jacer333 wrote:Wow, incredible find this early in your sorting career! Congrats and best wishes to many more :)

Thanks, but I'd actually say it's a rather late find, since I've been sorting for over three years now and the coolest pennies I've found have been a few common-date wild Indians.

But thanks for the congratulations from all of you; I'm pretty stoked to say the least. :D

spacemanX wrote:Congrats. still looking for an early mint mark. best i did was 1919s

That's a pretty nice find too. It's not so common to get one of the semi-key-date mintmarks, as I'm sure you're aware, but if you keep on sorting they will turn up.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing