Canadians

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Canadians

Postby iatetacos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Just found a 1920 Canadian penny in a bag. :thumbup: with canada doing away with pennies, how long until that will effect the amount of canadians i pull from a bag? i am currently averaging about 4 a bag.
iatetacos
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Canadians

Postby m83striker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:26 pm

I'm not sure how long it will take, but I'm still pulling about 20 to 30 Canadian pennies out of a $25.00 box here in Michigan. On average they are about 90% copper also. I separate them into old and new Queens, Rock Doves and Kings. I've got some rolls of just Kings that hopefully will be worth something good someday, lol.
m83striker
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:29 pm

I pull about 3 Cu Candian pennies per roll lately. I have over $150.00 in Canadian Cu.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Here in NY, I get 100-200 canadians per bag. I would suspect that this ratio won't change a lot at first. It will probably decline at about the same rate that the % of copper changes. I believe it will be more from a dilution standpoint with new US cnets than it will be from the discontinuaton.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby doug » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Since the canadian penny circulates freely in the US especially along the border, they rarely are shipped back the Canada. Therefore it will take a long time for the government to get them.

I wonder if they are going to melt the US pennies in circulation in Canada or are they going to seperate them and ship them back here?

Doug
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:54 pm

doug wrote:Since the canadian penny circulates freely in the US especially along the border, they rarely are shipped back the Canada. Therefore it will take a long time for the government to get them.

I wonder if they are going to melt the US pennies in circulation in Canada or are they going to seperate them and ship them back here?

Doug

It would be funny if they did not seperate them and sent them to the US to be melted like they do with the nickle coins they would be breaking US law on melting US cents.
From http://www.brinksinc.com/journalArchive/Brinks_Journal_Issue11.pdf

In 2008, discussions and negotiations commenced to provide
Alloy Recovery Program services (ARP) in Toronto. The ARP
separates steel plated coins from alloy coins in quarters, dimes
and nickels, at which point the Mint demonetizes and sends them
to U.S. smelting operations to extract the specific alloys that will
be for sale on the world market.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:45 am

Hm you guys get more Canadians than I do. I usually get less than 20 per bag. Yeah, I don't think the decrease will be noticeable at first but it will be fun to see...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing