bulk numis as a store of value

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

bulk numis as a store of value

Postby creshka46 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Here's a question that I got curious about as I was thinking recently. Concerning bulk numi coins like common wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, indian pennies, v nickels, etc.: does anyone know about their performance against inflation over time? It seems like the common wholesale price for wheats currently is about 3.5x, what was it like 20 years ago? Or 40? Anyone have info like this on wheats or any of these other coins?
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: bulk numis as a store of value

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:10 pm

So many variables, it makes my head hurt just to try to think about predicting this.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hags » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Not so much for the "wholesale wheats", but for those wheat cents that actually would be considered numi they do have a site that shows long term trends.

http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/Lincoln-cent.html

Not sure how they determine past values, or if it's just an estimate....but a fair guide to compare numi value to inflation.

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:43 pm

hags wrote:Not so much for the "wholesale wheats", but for those wheat cents that actually would be considered numi they do have a site that shows long term trends.

http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/Lincoln-cent.html

Not sure how they determine past values, or if it's just an estimate....but a fair guide to compare numi value to inflation.

hags

I just found this site this morning about 3:AM. Downloaded their Morgan dollars guild after passing the test (I mean like, what else do you do at 3:AM and can't sleep??!!). Very nice if you like to see the numbers. Now one of my Fav websites very informative.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:43 am

NHsorter wrote:So many variables, it makes my head hurt just to try to think about predicting this.
I was typing on my phone, so I did not really get my point across. What I was trying to say is that if the inflation (or even hyperinflation) that many of us are expecting starts to kick in, I don't know if that would fare well for numi coins. I don't see many people that will want to spend or invest their wealth in a rare coin under those conditions. They will be more concerned with food and hard assets. If the world economy grows and prospers, I think that numi coins would be a good investment. I personally try to avoid holding much numi value stuff and try to concentrate on metal value of coins. Every once in a while something does manage to slip in and find it's way into the collection though, just cause it's cool. I try to resist as much as I can though!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CopperHound » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:19 am

I turn my wheats in for good grade silver dimes, this way I'm covered whatever numi does in the future.
CopperHound

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing