What happens when your order is NEW pennies?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What happens when your order is NEW pennies?

Postby itsmerobbyb » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:28 pm

So I went to pick up a 8 box order at chase and half of them were brand new pennies :( I know I can bring in a scale and weigh them but, I think they will stop ordering pennies for me if I don't take the pennies I order in the first place. Plus I have to give them cash first, then they put them through the "glass box" so id have to weigh them after the exchange then return the zinc through the awkward glass box again, which would take some time... So I'm just curious how many of you have gotten new boxes of pennies when you order and is there any way to avoid this?
Who will find the LAST copper penny?
itsmerobbyb

Re: What happens when your order is NEW pennies?

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 pm

It's case dependent. Sometimes you just suck it up and dump them. If they are truly new-new, like 2013s, sometimes there is a market at the start of a year for a new unopened box on ebay.

If you befriend your teller (not always possible) and they come to learn that you are looking for "old" pennies, they might hold the new boxes for themselves (to the extent they have need) and give you only the ones with older ones. The guy I have now is doing that for me, and the same thing is happening - a lot of new boxes. I haven't had many cents to sort for a couple of weeks. (In fact I'm shifting to halves for awhile until this glut clears out.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 pm

I agree with 68, get to know your tellers and most are willing to help.
Having a bank that orders 8 boxes for you is great, take them all even if they're new.
Try taking the new ones to another bank to trade or sell without having to open them.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:29 pm

If they are 2013's put them on ebay fast and be happy..if 2012's dump 'em.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Robarons » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:43 am

Bingo! If your getting 2013 pennies your likely the first to be getting them.

Slap them on EBAY or flip them for more than face soon as possible. And really if your getting solid boxes of 2012's I would keep a few, I can see their values going up.

Keep the boxes sealed if you dont want to keep them. Take them to other banks and dump them- if their still 'fed wrapped' they can use them for commercial customers. Or trade them for normal boxes- most tellers dont care
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:15 am

Pennies come in boxes? I am fortunate that I buy the bags off of the lobby machines.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby daviscfad » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:21 am

slickeast wrote:Pennies come in boxes? I am fortunate that I buy the bags off of the lobby machines.

Do you still know if you can?
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:22 am

Also if they are boxes of full 2012 lmk I may be interested in 100. Don't need Denver mint though
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby itsmerobbyb » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like Im going to try and get to know the tellers and get the good boxes ;) No 2013's yet either.
itsmerobbyb

Postby willy13 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Wow, so there are still new 2012 cents showing up.
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fasteddy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:25 pm

willy13 wrote:Wow, so there are still new 2012 cents showing up.

YEp, just blew through fifteen dirty boxes a couple weeks ago.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:29 pm

slickeast wrote:Pennies come in boxes? I am fortunate that I buy the bags off of the lobby machines.

Oh so you have blown the dust off your machines and are sorting again? Some of us are well rounded and p/u bags, boxes, buckets and coffee cans to sort. And maybe a 5 gal water bottle this weekend....will use the liftgate for that p/u.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby itsmerobbyb » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:40 pm

fasteddy wrote:
willy13 wrote:Wow, so there are still new 2012 cents showing up.

YEp, just blew through fifteen dirty boxes a couple weeks ago.

I just got 15 NEW boxes today!! I might have to close my chase account? the worst part is they are the boxes with the little holes on top so you can look into the rolls, so I know when i'm loading them up they are just a waste of time :( I have better luck with the blank box with clear rolls inside i get from wells fargo, anyone else see a difference in the type of box you get?

any suggestions? I need to sort!!
itsmerobbyb

Postby itsmerobbyb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Just dumped 7 boxes at my local credit union and told the teller the rolls are brand new and sealed boxes. He said he still had to open each roll and verify the amount. I felt soooo bad, as I watched him open each box and his boss handed him some bags to put the loose coins in. I might just reject the next order of new pennies this is creating too much work!
itsmerobbyb

Postby algae21 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:55 am

itsmerobbyb wrote:
I just got 15 NEW boxes today!! I might have to close my chase account? the worst part is they are the boxes with the little holes on top so you can look into the rolls, so I know when i'm loading them up they are just a waste of time :( I have better luck with the blank box with clear rolls inside i get from wells fargo, anyone else see a difference in the type of box you get?

I had two boxes with the holes on the top showing all new pennies. I set them aside for a couple of weeks until dump time. I cracked the first roll open and it was half copper. I sorted the two boxes and wound up with about a 20% average.

So I'm wondering, how does someone know for sure that what they have is a solid date roll of new coins without actually cracking them open? :?: :?: :?
algae21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby hags » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:27 am

algae21 wrote:So I'm wondering, how does someone know for sure that what they have is a solid date roll of new coins without actually cracking them open? :?: :?: :?

By weight...

itsmerobbyb wrote:

If they can't supply older boxes, or sell you bags, I'd move on to a new supply bank and welcome them as a new dump bank....Ask them if you could buy the bags off their counter since you'd like to look thru old pennies and not new ones...you never know until you ask....Case in point...I opened a new account at a bank with three local branches, went a few weeks as a regular customer and then asked for coins...(insert explosion) head teller said "the bank policy" only sells coins to business accounts...so those three branches became dump locations, until 1 day I was dumping halves at a different branch and a few of my halves filled the bag on the machine...I couldn't stand it, even tho the other branch head teller warned me of the "bank policy" I had to ask for that bag of halves.... low and behold they said yes, they would sell the bag...booyah...I've bought bags from that branch ever since....DON'T GIVE UP.....

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:06 am

hags wrote:
algae21 wrote:So I'm wondering, how does someone know for sure that what they have is a solid date roll of new coins without actually cracking them open? :?: :?: :?

By weight...
Actually.. that is a good indication.. but you can have a dirty roll with old zincs in the middle that will weigh the same.
itsmerobbyb wrote:

Don't ever close accounts when they don't cost you anything. Try picking up at one of the other branches of the same bank in your town or the next town. Since they are probably all serviced by the same coin processor, you may want to source coins from another bank or ask for CWR until this wave passes.. as it will. I once cancelled a regular weekly order at one branch because of getting several shipments of solid zinc circulated pennies.. I never did get that regular order back.

....DON'T GIVE UP.....

hags

hags gives the best advise. I completely agree. What is it that they say about adversity building character? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby itsmerobbyb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:17 pm

I think chase is just getting their coin from garada and wells fargo is getting from loomis. Something like that, all I know is its costing me 5 bucks a month for this account, I have put orders in at every branch within 15 miles and so far over half of them have the same "peak hole" type boxes which have been %100 new. So I got 3 more orders to pick up this week, if they are all new when I get there im going to tell them to keep them and close the account since I can't dump there either. Thanks again all for the great advice
itsmerobbyb

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:35 pm

Why does it cost you $5 a month to have that account? I have 3 accounts at Chase and don't pay for any of them. They actually paid me to open 2 of those accounts.

Maybe you just need to back off pennies for a month or so and try roll searching for silver. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby itsmerobbyb » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:00 am

i have to pay because I have no direct deposit or over 1,500 in any account. hints why im hunting copper pennies, the "poor mans gold"

i guess its just my area, and I cant afford to pay for an account that I cant use :)
itsmerobbyb

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:33 pm

I don't deal with as many boxes at a time as you do. Only 1-3 max at a time. When I get all zinc boxes, I just take them to my other bank and ask if they will trade me straight across box-for-box. I've done this now enough times they will warn me when I pick up if they think they might be new ones. I've never had a problem swaping but they know me well.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing