Weighing Copper Pennies for Counting

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Weighing Copper Pennies for Counting

Postby Bigsarge » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm wondering if any of you have tried to weigh copper pennies to get an Accurate count, versus running through a counter? I've been experimenting with putting pennies into a bowl on my scale, and 100 pennies come out to 10.8 oz every time, down to the exact count. Obviously I'd like to do this for a larger amount every weigh in, as I'd like to fill up some $50 bags. Just curious on some successful or not so successful feedback for any attempts at this.

Thanks
Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

Oh, it looks good on you though.
Bigsarge
Penny Collector Member

Re: Weighing Copper Pennies for Counting

Postby WileE » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Since I am hoarding with no intention of selling, I weigh Brinks boxes filled with CU Lincolns to 14 pounds and figure it is $20. I counted a box and it contained $20.20. I think time is better spent sorting than counting.
There'll be time enough for counting when the sorting's done
WileE
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mooski » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:41 pm

As I go thru the copper side of the sort, I weigh 5 at a time on my digital scale. It's gotta weigh at least 15.2 grams, else a zinc has snuck thru.

Plus, I'll take the Wheat, Canadian and (possibly) the 'S' ones out at the same time.

I only have a few hundred pounds of pennies that I have to weigh and roll... :-D
Mooski
Penny Pincher Member

Postby pennyguy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:54 pm

$50.00 of copper pennies should be 34.25 lbs
pennyguy
Penny Collector Member

Postby HD-Daddy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:01 pm

147-150 coppers =1 pound
HD-Daddy
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:36 am

I actually have a penny scale from the 20's that will give you a count. You just put the pennies in the tray. I generally use one of my counters so that I have exact counts. My fastest counters will do 4,000 coins per minute.. so there is no need to use the scale. For estimating purposes I calculate them at 150 per pound to allow for some wear. For copper cents that are rolled and boxed, they come in at 17.1 pounds for a $25 box. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing