Foreign penny in US roll with interesting story

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Foreign penny in US roll with interesting story

Postby jmaii » Mon May 06, 2013 10:19 am

It's not worth much money (only $1.25 in fine condition and my coin has black/green tarnish), but a coin I found while hand-sorting US pennies has a very interesting story.

Image Image

In 1942 The Netherlands was occupied by Nazi Germany; the Dutch government had previously fled to London. The US minted coins on behalf of this "government in exile" to be used in non-Nazi-occupied Dutch territories, and if you look closely you'll see a "P" to the right of "1942" to indicate minting in Philadelphia. The palm tree to the left of the year indicates the penny was made for use in the Dutch territory of Curaçao, a Caribbean island off the coast of Venezuela. There was a total of 2.5 million of these 1942 Dutch pennies minted by the US.

Size and coloring of the penny is very similar to the US penny (it's high copper bronze after all), but the coin has a reeded edge. When I saw the edge in the penny roll I thought I scored a dime, but this was a much more interesting find. This is a Dutch coin but it was minted in the US; maybe it's both foreign and domestic. :P

I can only wonder how this coin found it's way into my penny roll nearly 70 years after production, and am thankful for the enjoyment I received looking up its story. This find reminds me why I enjoy coin collecting.
Last edited by jmaii on Wed May 08, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Silver and gold, silver and gold / Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure it's worth? / Just by the pleasure it gives here on Earth."
-- Sam the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
jmaii
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Foreign penny in US roll with interesting story

Postby Zincanator » Mon May 06, 2013 10:57 am

Great story, thanks!
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Tourney64 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:29 am

Thanks for the story. There is so much history that is found in our coins. I like the Morgan Silver Dollar story and history.
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art41773.asp
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby frburk » Tue May 07, 2013 5:10 pm

That is a great find and story! I went thru $200 in pennies this weekend and found 50 wheats several canadians and a 50 ORE coin from Sweden. I hope someday that i will find one just like yours!
frburk

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue May 07, 2013 7:03 pm

As a sidenote, not only the Dutch Government was in exile but also the royal family and they were in Ottawa (Canada). And it happened that the Young queen at the time was pregnant, to make her child a true ''Dutch'', I believed that they named a floor of the Ottawa General Hospital, a international territory so that the child could inherit his dutch citizenship from his mother. More of that story at the subsequent gift of tulip here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Tulip_Festival

Cheers,
Last edited by mtalbot_ca on Wed May 08, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue May 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Cool coin! That is a great aspect to coin collecting. You can learn so much about world history! Thanks!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby plus1hdcp » Wed May 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks for sharing your research, cool find :thumbup:
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing