Co-workers and Copper

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Co-workers and Copper

Postby Gobirds66 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:21 pm

So, I do not write much but I needed to share this story.

Yesterday, we had a retirement party for one of the old guys at work. He is a really nice man and taught me a lot over the last couple of years so i was very thankful for that. Well, he decided to give us all a going away present too. After all, he was making out better in the deal as we all had to come to work today and he is going to the islands. Well, over the last two years I gave in and told him about my sickness for sorting copper. We got lots of chuckles over the things I found and just had a good back and forth conversation about pennies, silver, gold, oil, and investments in general.

At his party, he started handing out presents to everyone based on what he knew about them and the things they liked. When he got to me, he whipped out a nice bag of old wheats. Of course my eyes went all big, my wife rolled her eyes in the way many wives do when their husbands derive joy from a hobby they do not understand, and everyone laughed. Then he also whipped out a 1923 Peace Dollar in decent shape to go with them. Of course everyone thought that was cool, and my wife rolled her eyes again.....

So, I got home and decided to crack into the bag of wheats. There were about 3 dollars worth of wheats in the bag. Most were common 40's and 50's dates with about 10 in the pre-1940 range. The oldest was 1919. So as I am in all my glory, I noticed some funny looking ones. Oh Yeah, there were some long lost tribe members lurking in the wheats. Six total! I must say, over the last 3 years of looking through boxes, I have scraped up 6 total, so now my tribe is up to 12. The oldest one was 1891 I believe. As far as wear, they are your typical circulated Indian, but hey, what do I care. I reunited them with their kin already on my collection. I scored copper and silver at work. Wheats, Indians and a Peace Dollar no less. Of course, my wife just rolled her eyes...... I have a feeling if I do not cash these in by the time I die, someone is going to hit the jackpot cause my wife is taking them to the coin counter......

Anyway, I called and thanked the guy time after time since I had his home contact. Funny thing is that I know he is not a coin guy, so I am trying to think of where he came up with all those wheats. I can only come up with the fact that his mom is like 96 and I am thinking she had a jar of them sitting around and they made their way to me. I gotta be careful how I do it, but I think one day after some time passes, I may get back in touch and see if he has anymore stuff lying around his mom's house he wants to get rid of, like maybe more wheats that might include a 1909 S VDB ...... Hey, a guy can dream!
If they give you lined paper, write the other way....
Gobirds66
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Co-workers and Copper

Postby Rob72830 » Sat May 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Yes, you can dream. You said he was going to the islands. Maybe he will bring you back some big ole foreign copper or nickel.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby DuckTales253 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Gobirds66 wrote:Of course, my wife just rolled her eyes...... I have a feeling if I do not cash these in by the time I die, someone is going to hit the jackpot cause my wife is taking them to the coin counter......

Sounds like you need to prepare a note (as some members have done) of instructions on where your wife could sell the coins for their numismatic or bullion rather than face value.
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby LooseChange » Sun May 12, 2013 5:51 am

DuckTales253 wrote:
Sounds like you need to prepare a note (as some members have done) of instructions on where your wife could sell the coins for their numismatic or bullion rather than face value.

Perhaps a "Thogey clause" or a Thogey amendment in one's will, Not a bad Idea. 8-)

This could benefit everyone who has any silver/copper coins as well as a significant other.
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby Z00 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:44 am

"Thogey clause" or a Thogey amendment in one's will

Ya gotta love it!! :clap: :clap:
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon May 13, 2013 7:07 am

Indians, Wheats, AND a silver dollar? Wow! Now that is a real going away present for a coin-horse!! You have a very thoughtful co-worker (and a friend). Yes, keep in touch with this guy, not for just the coins.

I am so lucky! My wife knows the value of coins. She helps me when she can. She is very supportive!

Maybe you could educate you wife and get her excited about your addiction?
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Gobirds66 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:23 am

DuckTales253 wrote:

Actually, I have tried a different approach. I created a database where my wife can plug the spot prices for copper, silver, and gold and come up with a value that day. I have my collection in there too, but that is not as accurate, but only ever 6 months off at most, just cause I am too busy stacking to keep up with it. She makes occasional trips with me and knows my LCS. She can get rid of it if she needs to, and she will have a rough idea of worth when she does. I keep all that stuff with the paperwork and account numbers she will need when I die, and she is well aware of it.

Now, all the copper, that just may get put back into circulation. I just hope she does not use Coinstar because she will get raped on charges and die at the machine waiting for it to finish.....

She rolls her eyes at my craziness, but in the end, she really does understand. What scares me most is what she will do with the money once she cashes them in..... I think she may give Imelda Marcos a run for her money with a shoe collection.....
If they give you lined paper, write the other way....
Gobirds66
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon May 13, 2013 2:36 pm

Gobirds66 wrote:
DuckTales253 wrote:

Actually, I have tried a different approach. I created a database where my wife can plug the spot prices for copper, silver, and gold and come up with a value that day. I have my collection in there too, but that is not as accurate, but only ever 6 months off at most, just cause I am too busy stacking to keep up with it. She makes occasional trips with me and knows my LCS. She can get rid of it if she needs to, and she will have a rough idea of worth when she does. I keep all that stuff with the paperwork and account numbers she will need when I die, and she is well aware of it.

Now, all the copper, that just may get put back into circulation. I just hope she does not use Coinstar because she will get raped on charges and die at the machine waiting for it to finish.....

She rolls her eyes at my craziness, but in the end, she really does understand. What scares me most is what she will do with the money once she cashes them in..... I think she may give Imelda Marcos a run for her money with a shoe collection.....

Maybe she will not out live you. Maybe she goes first. No one knows.

Dude, don't think I am insensitive, crude, or a woman hater ~~~ but if you have done all that and she still thinks it's a waste of time... it's no longer your responsibility after you are gone. She has to make her own way.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Wed May 15, 2013 5:57 am

I think "Thogey Clause" could catch on in legal circles. Hey, you have to call it something...

Women want pre-nup agreements, right? So we get Thogey Clauses

8-)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby LooseChange » Wed May 15, 2013 7:06 am

Morsecode wrote:I think "Thogey Clause" could catch on in legal circles. Hey, you have to call it something...

Women want pre-nup agreements, right? So we get Thogey Clauses

8-)

It may be beneficial to try to draft one up as a sample. I may even start a new thread so that we all can have inputs on what should be included in such a "Thogey Clause" as well as the correct and proper verbiage to use. Someone who is familiar with the legal-eze language would be helpful.

There are many different scenarios I'm sure folks have thought of that would love to chime in and add to it. This could get interesting :lol:
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Wed May 15, 2013 5:19 pm

I think there are a couple lawyers here...but, you're right, it needs it's own thread :thumbup:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing