bags for shipping

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

bags for shipping

Postby kwebb70 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Anyone use coin bags for shipping? If so any recommendations?
kwebb70
Penny Pincher Member

Re: bags for shipping

Postby wheeler_dealer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Tape the flap tight. Fold it over tape up real well. I would suggest prior to taping to enclose the recipients name and address inside the bag just in case. Once sealed up tightly, I lined box bottom with extra cardboard, the same on top. Tape outside real well all sides. Postal service can be rough on these boxes.
P.S. make index cards or mark HEAVY on box. It helps.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:48 pm

Depends on the type of coin bag. The standard plastic coin shipment bags are pretty sturdy. If shipping in a canvas coin bog make sure you use a good seal.. either one specifically designed for that purpose or a tie wrap. Also, some folks place the coin bag in a tyvek bag and seal that as well. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:33 am

I haven't personally shipped in significant quantity, but I've rec'd a lot and gotten some lessons learned from those as well as the expert shippers here. Redundancy is the key, and prevention of movement inside the box. Don't trust the box, do tape the box, don't put everything in one bag, don't use multiple abrasive bags (tyvek) if they can rub on each other (they will rub holes in each other - use some plastic between them to prevent chafing). Even the HD canvas bags can split - I've had more than one canvas bag arrive split open.

I use the FED rated HD plastic coin bags for storage, and they should be good for shipping as well if you follow the above and the penny shipping thread guidelines.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby LooseChange » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:56 am

68Camaro wrote:I use the FED rated HD plastic coin bags for storage, and they should be good for shipping as well if you follow the above and the penny shipping thread guidelines.

Here is the Shipping Pennies Thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=201

Very informative read if you haven't already.
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:23 am

Zip-ties are strong and easier to get on/off than duct tape. You can get them at any hardware store and most dollar stores.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am

The zip ties are much cheaper and easier to deal with than those fancy lead seal ties with the metal teeth that you are supposed to crimp. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing