Did an experiment to see the proportion of Wheats/Canadians

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Did an experiment to see the proportion of Wheats/Canadians

Postby Ecotic » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:00 pm

I started filling up these 1 gallon jars at the same time earlier this year, starting from 0 Wheats and 0 Canadians, and my wheat jar just filled up. I've gone through Brinks, Loomis, String, and customer wrapped rolls, so in scientific polling terms the margin for error is extremely low. The copper Canadians are in the jar on the left and it looks to be about 40% full. The non-copper Canadians are in the small orange container to the right. But I'm from the Southeastern U.S., it'd be interesting to see someone do this if they live right on the American-Canadian border next to say, Toronto. I bet there'd be a lot more Canadians.

Ecotic
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Did an experiment to see the proportion of Wheats/Canadi

Postby BenG76 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:19 pm

I am in VA near the NC line. I usually get more wheats than Canadian cents. Just today me and my daughter went through $45 and we got 25 wheats and 10 Canadians.
BenG76
Penny Sorter Member

Postby scyther » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:03 pm

I'm in the midwest and this looks similar to what I would get. I also find that there are a lot more copper than non-copper Canadians. I've heard Canadian members here say they got about 40% copper before they stopped using pennies, so I guess that means steels outnumber zincs pretty heavily...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:11 pm

I get about two to three times as many wheats as Canadian cents in Southern California. Most of the Canadian cents are copper too. The steel ones probably wind up stuck to magnets in coin counters instead of making it into the rolls I pick up.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Ecotic » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:27 am

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:I get about two to three times as many wheats as Canadian cents in Southern California. Most of the Canadian cents are copper too. The steel ones probably wind up stuck to magnets in coin counters instead of making it into the rolls I pick up.

I've always just figured that the reason there's more copper Canadians than non-copper Canadians circulating in the U.S. is for two basic reasons. One (and primarily), is that Canadian pennies cross over into America from American tourists or Canadian tourists, and therefore the Canadian pennies that we find have been traveling around in America for a number of years now and so this favors the older, copper pennies. And secondly because copper Canadians were made for a lot longer than American copper pennies, up to 1996.
Ecotic
Penny Sorter Member

Postby scyther » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:07 am

Ecotic wrote:
TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:I get about two to three times as many wheats as Canadian cents in Southern California. Most of the Canadian cents are copper too. The steel ones probably wind up stuck to magnets in coin counters instead of making it into the rolls I pick up.

I've always just figured that the reason there's more copper Canadians than non-copper Canadians circulating in the U.S. is for two basic reasons. One (and primarily), is that Canadian pennies cross over into America from American tourists or Canadian tourists, and therefore the Canadian pennies that we find have been traveling around in America for a number of years now and so this favors the older, copper pennies. And secondly because copper Canadians were made for a lot longer than American copper pennies, up to 1996.

The magnets are the main reason... see how many of your non-coppers are magnetic. I think I have 3 or 4 steel ones, versus maybe 80 zincs.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Bluegill » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:00 am

But I'm from the Southeastern U.S., it'd be interesting to see someone do this if they live right on the American-Canadian border next to say, Toronto. I bet there'd be a lot more Canadians.

My ration was about opposite of yours. Canadian coins are very prevalent here in Detroit.

Was getting 75-80% Cu. Of that, was getting a consistent 40-20-40 mix of the pre-'80 - '80/'81' - '82 thru '96. The commercial coin processors in my area do not have magnets in their machines. Fe and Ni coins are aplenty, especially dimes.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Franco American » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:02 pm

I have to agree with Blue Gill on this topic. I live in a suburb of Detroit and average 2 Canadian pennies per roll - with 80% of them being the copper variety. I find about 12 wheats per box so the ratio is completely different here
Franco American
Penny Pincher Member

Postby spacemanX » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:12 pm

down in florida I get 10 wheats to about 3 canadians.
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:17 am

In Rochester, NY, I get about 10 Canadian to 1 wheat.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby michfan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:37 pm

I live in Grand Rapids MI, couple hours north of Detroit and I find canadians in nearly every roll, probably 15+ to every wheat I find. The percentage of copper canadians I find is same as Franco American, around 80%. I get so many that I separate them by copper content.
michfan

Postby penny pretty » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:47 pm

Dave wrote:In Rochester, NY, I get about 10 Canadian to 1 wheat.
rochester here also, about right, Ive even found 35 georges in a roll once, as opposed to my record of 13 wheats in a roll.( the georges were in a batch of all canadian rolls I got in a bank pickup ahwile back)
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing