How well did this guy do on his unsearched roll?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How well did this guy do on his unsearched roll?

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:09 am

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: How well did this guy do on his unsearched roll?

Postby creshka46 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 am

$36 !?!

He lost at least $20
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:48 am

creshka46 wrote:$36 !?!

He lost at least $20

Yeah that's about what I was thinking too... I don't think he won... I think he way lost on those.
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:23 am

He thinks he made a profit though, so that probably explains how these rolls keep appearing.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:13 pm

barrytrot wrote:He thinks he made a profit though, so that probably explains how these rolls keep appearing.

:thumbup: yep
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Zincanator » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:23 pm

I know it's been discussed many times before... as soon as I see the word "unsearched" in any EvilBay auction, I translate that to a roll of carefully inventoried coins.

IMO those that sell "unsearched" rolls in bulk typically fill each roll manually, planting the occasional nice cent among hundreds of common dates to keep the feedback littered with the occasional "WOW I FOUND A 1909VDB! WILL BUY MORE!". This keeps hopes and bids high trying to be the next coin roll lotto winner. May have better odds in Vegas... I donno.

And then of course there's the tired old trick of putting a nice coin on the end(s) and filling the rest of the roll with commons. One of the comments on that blog says not to pay over $1 what the end cents showing are worth. That's pretty smart I think.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby barrytrot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:19 pm

Zincanator wrote:And then of course there's the tired old trick of putting a nice coin on the end(s) and filling the rest of the roll with commons. One of the comments on that blog says not to pay over $1 what the end cents showing are worth. That's pretty smart I think.

I saw that logic as well. However, that would then make it impossible to ever buy one of these as even at 3 cents each the wheat cents in the middle will be worth $1.44.

And I experimented with these for a while, simply as a curiosity and the average price is VERY HIGH. It was never close to $1 over the end-roll coins.

NOTE: Impossible to ever buy one is a GOOD SYSTEM for these though, so it's ok :)
barrytrot

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:29 am

Zincanator wrote:I know it's been discussed many times before... as soon as I see the word "unsearched" in any EvilBay auction, I translate that to a roll of carefully inventoried coins.

IMO those that sell "unsearched" rolls in bulk typically fill each roll manually, planting the occasional nice cent among hundreds of common dates to keep the feedback littered with the occasional "WOW I FOUND A 1909VDB! WILL BUY MORE!". This keeps hopes and bids high trying to be the next coin roll lotto winner. May have better odds in Vegas... I donno.

And then of course there's the tired old trick of putting a nice coin on the end(s) and filling the rest of the roll with commons. One of the comments on that blog says not to pay over $1 what the end cents showing are worth. That's pretty smart I think.

Technically speaking, the "unsearched rolls" actually violates eBay rules about lotteries if your willing to hash it out.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/lis ... affle.html
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing