Cruel way to dump Zincs.....?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Cruel way to dump Zincs.....?

Postby Bigsarge » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:06 am

Ran across this on CL.

Sure this guy is smarter than to fall for it, but, the thought of someone trying it, entered my mind.

http://racine.craigslist.org/wan/3831058374.html

Cash for pennys - $350 (Gurnee)

Cash paid for your old jars of pennies any old rolls or buckets or whatever i will pick up your pennies and pay you cash on the spot no lot too large call or tx 847-660-****
Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

Oh, it looks good on you though.
Bigsarge
Penny Collector Member

Re: Cruel way to dump Zincs.....?

Postby Numis Pam » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:25 pm

Lol..too funny...Love the idea.. :clap: I guess I have a wicked sense of humor! :twisted: :mrgreen:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Robarons » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Would be interesting to see what his intentions are- if for coppers banks will easily supply coins at the same percentages people would have in their jars.

But I get the feeling its some greedy tone to it:
Maybe he looking for older collections of All copper/ higher percents?
Or more realistically Wheat penny collections or older coin collections at face.

If you have time to kill I would setup an appointment and do the transaction- if he looking for copper he will outright decline your deal, which if you dont mind and have time to kill it shouldnt matter. Maybe he is looking for copper and will buy your pile not checking the mix

The other half of me is thinking he needs them for a project- maybe lining the floor with pennies or some school project
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:09 pm

I think he buying by the pound so the zincs wont hurt him at all... if he prices it right.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Bigsarge » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Robarons wrote:Would be interesting to see what his intentions are- if for coppers banks will easily supply coins at the same percentages people would have in their jars.

But I get the feeling its some greedy tone to it:
Maybe he looking for older collections of All copper/ higher percents?
Or more realistically Wheat penny collections or older coin collections at face.

This is my thought as well, he has quite a few ads of the same tone out there. Some he states he is looking for older collections. I think he's just trying to get get lucky with one of Thogey's widows and nail that bucket full of wheats, so he can pay 1 for 1.

Just my guess though.
Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

Bigsarge
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm

If you were to buy say 10 lbs of cents at 1.45 / lb = $14.50
If they were all copper that would be $14.50
If they were all zinc it would be $16.80
not counting all the other coins that could be in the jar, foriegn or domestic!

I think you could buy them for $1.20 a pound and do well, granted this may be more than a coinstar fee ,but they don't have to take them and wait while cashing them in...
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Bigsarge » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 pm

ahhh, never thought about buying them by the pound, my guess was he had a counter that he was bringing with him.

Bigsarge
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:56 pm

I once gave a Church Thrift Store $5 in rolled up change and they were gung ho about it. The next time, I gave them one roll (they only had $1.50 in stuff I wanted) and they went all Nasty Church Lady on me. I did thought about returning next time and heaving a canvas bag full of zincs and leaving it in the church donation box, but I thought better.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:57 am

Hmmm.. "no amount too large" If only he were closer. :twisted:

Find out if he pays by count or weight. Then you mix in some wheats and coppers with the zincs on top of the Alhambra bottles. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby penny pretty » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:44 pm

I did that myself awhile back(see real expensive pennies) and got attacked by a pitbull when I went to pick them up! I found the picture of my leg bite....
Attachments
dog.jpg
dog.jpg (116 KiB) Viewed 851 times
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mooski » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:02 am

I've posted on Craigslist for pennies with some success.

I say that I'll pay $1.60/lb or so, or if they know how much they have, that's what I'll give them.

So if it's all zinc, I'm buying it for what they could get from Coinstar, and if it's all copper, I'm paying a 10% premium. Anything else, I'm buying pennies that I would get hand rolled from the bank, but already loose.

Heck, I bought 125 pounds of pennies for $200 today. Plus, I have my customers bring in pennies from the bank, and a bank manager will call me when he's got a BUNCH of CWR's. (I think I spent $325 on pennies this weekend - payday is Monday...)
Mooski
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JobIII » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:37 pm

There's a guy in my area that offers 1.65/lbs and also assumes a 50/50 mixture of copper/non-copper. I often looked at these options over returning to banks, but only when it was accurate to the $ amount i had to trade.

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing