Copper Disk

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Copper Disk

Postby J_Dodge » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:13 am

Found this disk in a roll of pennies 2 nights back.

GEDC1380b.JPG
GEDC1380b.JPG (21.86 KiB) Viewed 653 times

My digi-cam doesn't have a macro closeup setting, so this is the best I could do for a close up.

The left coin is a '82 copper, the right is '94 Zinc (picked for color comparison). The overall size
(height & width) is that of a penny, although it's a bit thinner - this could be due to the lack of a
rim on both sides.

It weighs 2.85-2.86 gr, less than a pre '82, but more than a Zinc.

I speculate that someone rubbed a pre '82 down w/ some sort of abrasive (both sides), hence the
weight reduction. The resulting surfaces are fairly smooth, w/ a few surface scratches.

Other theories?

JD
J_Dodge
Penny Collector Member

Re: Copper Disk

Postby fasteddy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:48 am

a planchet....didn't get struck into a penny....my guess it is Cu....I find a lot of Cu cents that are underweight in the 2.85 gr and above...usually from the early to mid 70's.

and welcome to the crazies.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby theshoenlebens » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:44 pm

fasteddy wrote:a planchet....didn't get struck into a penny....my guess it is Cu....I find a lot of Cu cents that are underweight in the 2.85 gr and above...usually from the early to mid 70's.

:thumbup:
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:29 pm

theshoenlebens wrote:
fasteddy wrote:a planchet....didn't get struck into a penny....my guess it is Cu....I find a lot of Cu cents that are underweight in the 2.85 gr and above...usually from the early to mid 70's.

:thumbup:

From past post--Update Franklin found a 2.46 gram 1951-s thin planchet cent. Also see--http://www.pcgs.com/Cert/26809666/

Barrytrot was kind and helped us send it in to be graded and here is is .

SafariScreenSnapz003.png
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:34 pm

I have found several blank planchetts in circulation. Pretty cool to find, but not worth anything.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby J_Dodge » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:25 am

Henry

If it's not to much trouble, could you explain what the grading process is, what it does for a coin, etc? I assume there is a $ involved....

Many Thanks

JD
J_Dodge
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:10 am

Subject: Copper Disk

J_Dodge wrote:Henry

If it's not to much trouble, could you explain what the grading process is, what it does for a coin, etc? I assume there is a $ involved....

Many Thanks

JD

You may not know but my son Franklin has autism and loves to sort coins and gets a charge when he finds something neet. So this is priceless to him and this coin I posted was most likely not worth sending in.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:27 am

henrysmedford wrote:Subject: Copper Disk

J_Dodge wrote:Henry

Many Thanks

JD

You may not know but my son Franklin has autism and loves to sort coins and gets a charge when he finds something neet. So this is priceless to him and this coin I posted was most likely not worth sending in.

Here are the PCGS fees:

http://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees/
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing