This morning, at the bank....

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

This morning, at the bank....

Postby J_Dodge » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:19 am

I purchased my bi-weekly box of pennys, and some rolls of dimes, nickels.

Based on some tips I read here on RealCent, I had previously given one of the tellers (Ashley - the
lady I deal with most often) a $5 dollar gift card to the local bakery for 'putting up' with me, and
had asked about what happens to the 'junk' in the banks counting machine.

This morning, there was a 2nd teller working - she went off to get the pennys. Before I get a
word spoken to her, Ashley was off and returned with a handfull of 'junk'. She handed me the
following:

Philipines
2010 1 peso

Czech Republic
1993 1kr
1995 2 Kr
1993 5 Kr

Cayman Is
2005 1 cent

Euro
2 2005 1 cent

Canada
1978 Nickel
2009 cent
1984 Dime

Nothing significant, but interesting and fun to look at. Will likely save these for my grand daughter.
There is also the potential for this to turn in to something bigger/better in the future.

Probally time to get a couple more gift cards....

So thanks guys - keep those tips coming!

JD
J_Dodge
Penny Collector Member

Re: This morning, at the bank....

Postby fasteddy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Dang, no buttons, batteries, bullets, paper clips, not even pocket lint....dude you need to step it up a bit to get it all... ;) smiles, candy, drinks, and of course gift cards all work wonders and lets those tellers know we do "care" for our pickups....hehe. :D

Don't forget to ask for the big dollars and half dollars....always buy all they have.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:31 pm

[quote="J_Dodge" Will likely save these for my grand daughter.

JD[/quote]
You might take your grand daughter with you to the bank it might open more doors. My son Franklin once said at the top of his lungs "why does this branch only have good looking tellers" He gets a lot of coins now from that branch now. :mrgreen:
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:25 pm

henrysmedford wrote: My son Franklin once said at the top of his lungs "why does this branch only have good looking tellers" He gets a lot of coins now from that branch now.

good thing he didn't go in my bank...h might have been thrown out for insulting the old hags! :lol:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Omega » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:48 pm

Donuts work well too haha, I buy my banks a box every week or 2 XD they love it haha
Omega
Penny Sorter Member

Postby J_Dodge » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Was at the bank this afternoon, was talking to the tellers - I had tryed Omega's suggestion - took them donuts a week ago - yow-za!!
That did wonders for the 'friendly factor'. Talk about smiles and laughing - this is getting to be fun.

Anyway - Ashley trotted off to the counter - got me the junk bin contents.

7 Canadian quarters - oldest 1974
2 Canadian dimes - 1972, 2003

1 copper colored coin from New Zealand - nice sculpture of the Queen, dated 2009. It has the number 10 on
the otherside, and some sort of mask - somewhat similar in style/concept to what the Eskimos and Indians in Alaska do.

Edit: It's the New Zeland 10 cent coin, copper plated steel. The 'mask' is A Māori koruru, or carved head.

Last one is a small copper coin, has the number 50 on it, can't identify a year, the text is a foriegn alphabet, has
a sculpture of a man on one side, a building on the other. I am guessing Asian - but only a guess.

Edit #2: The coin is 50 satang, copper plated steel, equal to 1/2 of a Thai baht. The design is 2008 or later.
Thanks go to my co-worker Martin, who is Viet Namese, for the guess of Thailand.

And it gets better - yesterday I was at a differant branch office - talked to the assistant manager of that
branch - would they save the junk for me? At first she hesitated - but when I said that Ashley was doing it
at the downtown branch - "yeah- we can do that". More donuts to buy..... ;)

JD

Edit #3:
PS - While I am at it, found a 1990 5 pence coin (Great Britain) last night while going thru some rolls of dimes.
75% copper, 25% nickel. Found one listed on Amazon for $1.95.
Last edited by J_Dodge on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J_Dodge
Penny Collector Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Nice going!

Building a network will save you problems in the future..
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing