Goal reached!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Goal reached!

Postby krazykoinguy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:41 am

One of my goals when I started searching for coppers was to gather a full bag of wheats. Tonight I found my 5000th wheat penny after a year of penny sorting. My other goal is to gather 1 ton of coppers, I'm not quite there yet, about 1300 lbs so far. I have to admit, I feel a little silly hording at these copper prices and with less copper I find now with each bag. It is getting to the point where it's hardly worth it. Soon we will have yet another year of zincolns to deal with.
krazykoinguy

Re: Goal reached!

Postby knibloe » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:49 am

nice work on your goals. I wish I had been disciplined enough to track my finds better.

Just out of curiosity, what is your current percent copper? I have been stockpiling bags all summer hoping to sort them this winter. I wonder with each bag, how many coppers are in there.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby John1934 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:49 am

Congrats buddy! Do you know how much you have searched through to get those amounts? Like dollar wise?
John1934

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:12 am

I'm back to hunting errors. I am doing a box or bag a week. The coppers are being saved. My percentages are about the same. Anywhere from 20% to 26%. The higher % from customer return bags. Wheats are WAY down. Averaging 12 per $25 box. The Canucks are still floating around with at least 10 a box. But errors might make things interesting. No big finds yet but a few coins to make things interesting.

2009 DDO "extra finger"
1972D DDO
1972D "Die crack" in Abe's Skull.
1970D Another "Die crack"

A few coins with smaller die cracks or die chips.

Also, I have seen a really nice 1992 CAM that just got authenticated $$$$$$$$. They are out there!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:56 pm

krazykoinguy wrote:One of my goals when I started searching for coppers was to gather a full bag of wheats. Tonight I found my 5000th wheat penny after a year of penny sorting. My other goal is to gather 1 ton of coppers, I'm not quite there yet, about 1300 lbs so far. I have to admit, I feel a little silly hording at these copper prices and with less copper I find now with each bag. It is getting to the point where it's hardly worth it. Soon we will have yet another year of zincolns to deal with.

5000 wheats in just one year is a lot! Are you using a machine to sort for copper or doing it by hand? In terms of whether it is worth it or not I'd just want to know how much time you spend on this and what else you would be doing if you weren't searching for copper.

Also, while we're talking about wheats, I wonder if they sell better in Kansas (which produces lots of wheat) than other states. Anyone have any info on this?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby krazykoinguy » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:27 am

I started November of 2014. I hand sorted until August of 2015. This is when I purchased my Rydale. When I was hand sorting, I was doing about $200 a week. With my Rydale, I now do $500 to $600 a week. It takes me about 1/2 an hour to do a $50 bag including sorting out the wheats. My percentage of copper is down compared to last year. It was around 20% last year. But now it averages around 15% or below. I still find 10 wheats per bag on average. In one year I found 5000 wheats, 8 indians, and around 1300 lbs of copper.
krazykoinguy

Postby krazykoinguy » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:43 am

I wish I had kept track of how many bags I did since I started. I figure that I keep about 1/7th of what I searched through based on 15% copper average or slightly below. So 1300 lbs of copper that I now have, approximately, equates to around 265 bags that I've searched through so far. The only part I hate about this hobby is returning the Zincolns. It's kind of embarrassing and takes a lot of time.
krazykoinguy

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing