Coin Hunting For Errors

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Coin Hunting For Errors

Postby coolcoinz2017 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:55 am

I collect pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and half dollars. Can anybody tell me what book they use to learn about all the coin errors out there. Also tell me what error you think is the easiest to find while coin roll hunting.
coolcoinz2017

Re: Coin Hunting For Errors

Postby bookshelf » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:26 pm

The Lincoln Cent Resource site (http://lincolncentresource.com/) is a great place to learn about errors for US cents.
Wanted: current Japanese YEN coins and bills
bookshelf
Penny Pincher Member

Postby galenrog » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Bookshelf gives good advice. Lincolncentresource gives very good information on all types of errors. Another resource that many carry with them is the two volume Cherry Pickers Guide published by Whitman. These guides focus primarily on various kinds of doubling, but have information on many other errors. I pick this up every four or five years, with the new edition being my second purchase in that series.

The various coin magazines available have articles on errors from time to time. If you want to find any guidebooks or websites that may be available, these publications should be helpful with both articles and advertisements.

Several members will chime in with their own opinions within the next few days. Sift through the advice on websites and guidebooks. Decide which resources work best for you. Enjoy.

Time for coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:04 pm

coolcoinz2017 wrote:I collect pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and half dollars. Can anybody tell me what book they use to learn about all the coin errors out there. Also tell me what error you think is the easiest to find while coin roll hunting.

The errors that are easiest to find are those that aren't worth much and would be hard to sell at a premium above face value. In other words, most people would say they aren't worth the time spent hunting.

That said, something really hard to find (like a 1983 copper penny which weighs 2.6 grams and hasn't been acid treated to reduce it's weight), may be worth thousands if you got it certified by one of the major companies. I saw an article in one of the coin magazines valuing one at over $100k.

An example of something in between the two extremes would be the Wisconsin extra leaf quarters. Even though they are pretty cool looking, I haven't seen much of a market for them in at least five years or so. So you might want to try and find 1-2 buyers in advance before you waste a lot of time hunting for any errors.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing