What variation in cents should I anticipate?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Postby coppernickel » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:50 pm

I have recently started weighing and saving 1982 cents. What variation in cents should I anticipate?

On my scale I am getting variations of 2.9-3.1 grams and 2.3-2.6 grams.

Looking at the reported exacting standards of the mint quality controls this makes me a bit nervous.

If finding this much variation in cents what should be expected when checking other coins?
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: What variation in cents should I anticipate?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:53 pm

The ones which are heavier are copper cents and the ones which are lighter are zinc. They transitioned from largely copper to largely zinc during the year 1982 which is why you are getting such a variation in weights.

Many on this site are saving the coppers- probably very few are saving the zincs, unless there is some kind of error/variety that year that makes them worth saving.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:59 pm

First, if you care about the first decimal place (x.x) then you need a scale that will read to (and is reasonably accurate to) the next decimal place (x.xx). Doesn't sound like you have a scale that reads to hundredths of grams, which is what you would need to resolve some of this.

Second, lower your expectations on the mint's "exacting standards". For circulating coin they weren't that exacting on an individual basis. +/-4 or 5 percent in the extreme isn't ridiculous for some coin (I've noted those levels in thousands of individual silver coin weighings, and kept a couple of the real odd-ball low and high outliers off to the side). I've not weighed a lot of cents, but I wouldn't expect anything different. And that doesn't include the bias to the low side for coin that was heavily circulated and worn.

What you're seeing are two groups for the two types of cents in 82: the group of 95% copper cents, which had nominal weight of 3.1 grams, and the group of copper plated zinc cents, which had nominal weight of 2.5 grams.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby coppernickel » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:56 pm

The coppers are interesting to me that most are just under weight, 2.9-3.1 grams, but the Zinc appear to have more variation being in the 2.3-2.6 grams range.

My presumption was the scale was accurate, but it appears more decimal places and accuracy are needed.

I am worried this will make verifying silver coins more difficult, is the mint more accurate with collectible coins?
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Circulating silver is what I've based most of my conclusions on. From that I've concluded you can't distinguish an individual counterfeit by weight alone, unless they are truly awful counterfeits (and some are that). If they can get within 5% of nominal they are within the bounds of error. Granted, most real coins are within +/- 2%. Ultimately the best defense these days is a PMV (precious metals verifier), which measures electrical conductivity.

In contrast the bullion coins (e.g., ASEs) are made from very precise planchets; the variation on those individual coins is 2 orders of magnitude less than the circulating coin.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:38 am

Sounds like the accuracy of the scale is the issue. I weigh 1982 cents all the time on my gram scale which has a reading to two decimal places. I sort the copper from zinc by the ring test and then weigh the separated coins in stacks of ten. A stack of ten copper cents will come in at 31g +/- 0.05 on my scale and a stack of ten zinc cents weighs in at 25g with a slightly wider tolerance.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:40 am

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:Sounds like the accuracy of the scale is the issue. I weigh 1982 cents all the time on my gram scale which has a reading to two decimal places. I sort the copper from zinc by the ring test and then weigh the separated coins in stacks of ten. A stack of ten copper cents will come in at 31g +/- 0.05 on my scale and a stack of ten zinc cents weighs in at 25g with a slightly wider tolerance.

Scale is a big part of it, but for the OP your results would be more meaningful if you reported the range of variation of individual cents rather than the sample average; by weighing 10 at a time you are both shifting the weight of the sample into the most accurate range of the scale, as well as averaging out the variation of the individual cents. The average of a population is indeed 3.1 and 2.5 for each type.
68Camaro

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:02 am

Yes, my technique is averaging out the variation of individual cents.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:26 am

Interesting, I hadn't thought about weighing more than one.

Appreciate the help.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:19 pm

I always weigh them two at a time. If I see a weight of, say, 5.2 grams, I know it is two zincs. If it is 6.2 grams, I know it is two coppers. That saves me a lot of time versus weighing them one at a time. I also use a Ryedale when I want a machine aided sort.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing