Are lightly circulated 2009 Lincolns worth saving?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Are lightly circulated 2009 Lincolns worth saving?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:30 pm

I've seen some people selling $25 face boxes of Lincoln cents on eBay. Is it worth setting aside those individual coins that we find when going through rolls? Also, are any of them better than the others (I.e. The log splitter being better than another type for some reason)?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Are lightly circulated 2009 Lincolns worth saving?

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:46 pm

I don't think given the amount minted and their initial collectors frenzy that circulating 2009s will have any value other than hole fillers for general collectors. E bay has roll sellers of uncirulated 2009s for serious collectors. IMO dump the zinc circulating 2009s.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:34 pm

I would suggest checking for errors prior to dumping. While time consuming, examining coins for errors can be very rewarding.

Time for coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:29 am

galenrog wrote:I would suggest checking for errors prior to dumping. While time consuming, examining coins for errors can be very rewarding.

Time for coffee.

Realistically I think I'd have to look at lots of coins for years to find even a single $100 error. Frankly I have much faster ways to make $100. And the day I have to use a loupe for most everything is the day it becomes too much. For me this needs to be fun- so I don't mind leaving errors for someone else. I will still check for '72 double dies and a few others but not the "one whisker in his beard is missing- Type 23" stuff that some people drool over.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby galenrog » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:43 pm

Nearly all the errors I find can be seen easily with my trifocaled eyes, as long as I am using the right field of vision. I have rarely found an error worth more than $20 to a local collector. Most have sold in the range of $2 - $5. While I do not normally look through cents, I will say that a typical $100 bag or box of Jefferson nickels will bring keepers that can easily give me a 5% return on the cost of the box. $100 in. $105 out. It takes me about a hour and a half to search. Not good wages, but fairly consistent. And I can do it in my spare time. Beats yelling at the TV.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing