Ebay prices of copper pennies sales

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Ebay prices of copper pennies sales

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:16 pm

So based on the auctions I've been looking at on Ebay, it appears that lots of bidders are prepared to pay a just little over 2 cents per coin -- for pre-1983 copper pennies (when you total up the winning bid price + shipping). And it appears that many sellers are receiving just a little under 2 cents per pre-1983 copper penny (because of eBay listing fees, etc.)

1. Does this reflect the average going rate these days?

If this is does reflect the average going rate, I'm trying to imagine what it would be if the transaction took place in person via craigslist or some other forum, like this one, without shipping costs.

2. How many people here have bought or sold copper penny bullion locally?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Re: Ebay prices of copper pennies sales

Postby misteroman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:33 pm

I thought the prices were dropping from what I've heard
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Snake42 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:42 pm

I sell on ebay auctions and buy it now. Everything I have sold has gone for right at 200$. People here want to pay way less and I havent tried selling on craigslist yet. I have bought lots of unsorted pennies from people on craigslist however.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tinhorn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:26 am

I haven't dealt locally. I saw one craigslist ad offering "about" 27 pounds for $75--1.9 cents each. I've sold for up to 9.9 cents each (including shipping), but extremely low volume:

kitco.jpg
kitco.jpg (56.16 KiB) Viewed 694 times

I'm still working on the magic formula.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tbram88 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:44 am

I saw an ad on CL a while ago offering to buy cents for 1.5X but have not seen it lately.

I have my auctions set up at $19.95 for ten dollars face (after fees I usually clear $8.00)
For a while there they were selling so good I sold most of my stash, lately it slowed way down. When I look at auctions I see the prices dropping as more sellers join in.

Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby andrewjackson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:19 am

8-) . Why sell now? Inflation is approaching like a runaway freight train. The dollar could very well crash during the next couple year's. Has anyone seen the price of silver? I think in this market all commodities will be going to the moon :D
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:10 am

I keep one auction up at all times for 1000 coppers.. seem to sell OK.. I use that money to purchase small lots of silver.. that way I get silver under spot.. little bit at a time..thats my plan
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tbram88 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:43 am

andrewjackson wrote:8-) . Why sell now? Inflation is approaching like a runaway freight train. The dollar could very well crash during the next couple year's. Has anyone seen the price of silver? I think in this market all commodities will be going to the moon :D

The main reason I'm selling is for every 1000 cents I sell I stack 1800. but now that my Ryedale is paid for I will probably only keep one or two auctions open at a time until they have more free listings.

My main problem is I have more time than money, and selling keeps me stacking.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverguy0001 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:02 pm

There sure are alot of auctions for pennies now!

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=copper ... m270.l1313
silverguy0001

Postby VWBEAMER » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:52 pm

I bought $300 face for $375 local
I bought $25 face for $25 plus 12 shipping on ebay.

Most my pennies I paid 1.6 plus shipping for off ebay.

I can not see paying over 2 cents for a penny. Buyers are ripping themselves off on that deal.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:15 pm

I havent had much success locally in Ottawa Ontario. I dont plan on using e-bay. I think Ill just be waiting untill Im in the states and then hold an auction on here.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:22 pm

hey tinhorn , since no one has said it, i like your packaging!
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fusscharles » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:05 pm

andrewjackson wrote:8-) . Why sell now? Inflation is approaching like a runaway freight train. The dollar could very well crash during the next couple year's. Has anyone seen the price of silver? I think in this market all commodities will be going to the moon :D

Id say we are about to see the bulls take Copper taken off the menu... for this year at least. Copper is best when there is good economic weather and inflation shining bright. With the continuation of issues in the ME, and the end of qe II, we should see a dry, thirsty economy, with headline inflation baking all of us (set your broiler to high Q1 2012).

For my current main course, I'll take the seasonal special of gold and silver and maybe a side of my fav oil stock. Palladium and the base metals are obviously on my grocery list, with an expectation that they will be out of stock when GDP starts hitting annual rates of 5.5+.
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:04 am

I might have to reenter the market.. to help keep prices low. Haven't sold on eBay in a long time. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:41 am

Good thing the members of this site created the ebay Copper Bullion category for all those auctions.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing