I don't think I've ever had this happen before to me

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

I don't think I've ever had this happen before to me

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri May 17, 2024 5:15 pm

Picked up $10 in machine wrapped Brinks cent rolls yesterday at a TD bank branch. Went through them and only was able to pull 12 cents of keepables. The rest were zincolns. Either I was just super-unlucky and got the vein of someone's dump that Brinks wrapped or Brinks itself is in the game now of pulling copper cents? These weren't 2024 zincolns. All mixed years. I did pull a 2009 and a couple wheat cents too out of the rolls but what a complete killjoy.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: I don't think I've ever had this happen before to me

Postby JobIII » Fri May 17, 2024 5:53 pm

Random zinc year box no. Solid zinc box yes.

I will say for zincs do offer a good mix of errors and varieties to look for. But when you want copper it’s a skunk box.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri May 17, 2024 6:06 pm

JobIII wrote:Random zinc year box no. Solid zinc box yes.

I will say for zincs do offer a good mix of errors and varieties to look for. But when you want copper it’s a skunk box.

I found it ironic that I pulled a 2009 out of the rolls. Generally only see one maybe a few times a year in good shape. In this area, Maine, I have been spoiled with 20 % to 30% copper yields on Lincoln rolls. There isn't a big commercial copper cent collector on the east coast near Boston is there?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JobIII » Fri May 17, 2024 9:36 pm

I wouldn't know but wouldn't assume this is anything more than a fluke.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat May 18, 2024 6:27 am

I purposely use cash to get as much change back as I can. I only get 1-2 copper cents for every 20 pennies I get in change.

I stopped getting boxes from my local CU a few years ago because they were all skunks.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat May 18, 2024 3:57 pm

JobIII wrote:I wouldn't know but wouldn't assume this is anything more than a fluke.

Yeah. Just kind of impressed if there is someone in these parts or wherever Brinks got their pennies, that is separating the copper. Had to be a big amount too because I would think that the zincolns get churned up with the regular coin dumps in their facility but what do I know.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed May 29, 2024 9:55 pm

Grabbed more cent rolls from TD bank yesterday. Of the $10 -ie- 20 rolls of machine wrapped cents, I think I got maybe 40 copper Lincolns out of them. What is that, 4% ? I use to, and not that long ago, maybe a month or two ago, get easily 25% range of copper. I got these rolls from another branch different from my local one. In fact the branch was maybe 8 miles away from the prior one. Maybe the TD bank branches all get the same depot supply of wrapped coins.

Anyway, I'll check again next week and see if I can get more cents from another TD bank branch. If I get mostly skunked again, I am going to think that someone upstream is sorting out the coppers. I think this may be Brinks coin suppliers too. Anyone else here get coins from TD bank? What has been your experiences?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu May 30, 2024 4:52 am

To quickly go from 25% copper to 4% doesn’t seem right, unless someone new has arrived in your area who is a major player. FYI- I usually average about 10-11% copper- no I’m not in your part of the country and I don’t believe in disclosing my whereabouts to a national audience.

Hopefully things will turn around soon for you.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu May 30, 2024 6:54 am

JerrySpringer wrote:
JobIII wrote:I wouldn't know but wouldn't assume this is anything more than a fluke.

Yeah. Just kind of impressed if there is someone in these parts or wherever Brinks got their pennies, that is separating the copper. Had to be a big amount too because I would think that the zincolns get churned up with the regular coin dumps in their facility but what do I know.

Some ppl believe that Brinks and others are removing the Cu pennies from circulation. I have a friend who worked for Brinks for 10 years, he told me they have nothing in place to be able to do this. He left Brinks around 10 years ago, so maybe things have changed since then. :?:
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Thu May 30, 2024 7:25 am

Sorry to hear about the crappy roll!

I always have mixed feelings about my efforts saving the copper pennies. Every time I go to a local flea market, a person has a whole trove of old cents just dumped out on a table, as if a deceased family member had been doing what we are doing, and now he's just selling them off to the highest bidder. I don't think I will ever understand how the US could jump to messing with everyone's gold and silver BITD, but they do nothing about granting ppl the ability to melt their copper.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu May 30, 2024 10:12 am

With 2 data points, not a lot to go on right now. Other credit unions in the area have been supplying me with hand rolled or non-Brinks sourced cent rolls and they were fine. I'll scout out a few more TD banks next week. Maybe do a road trip for the day. I am curious now if this will be permanent here. Maine has always had high percentages of copper in the cents I bought at banks. This might be a heads up that others are getting more serious about sorting and they have capital to do it with. A copper cent is 317% of face value in metal content now.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Thu May 30, 2024 3:42 pm

I've quite the copper sorting, which I do miss. Still have my Ryedale if I decide to start up. (LOVE finding wheaties)
ALL the banks around have removed their coin counters and required rolled coin.
I even tried to get them to take around 95 Ikes and they wouldn't do it. I ordered some large dollar wrappers and took them that way.
Even when I did that the tellers was confused if she was able to take them. She called in a manager to ask and he looked at them first. SMH
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:51 pm

It's known that Brinks (and therefore probably other commercial wrapping companies) has been pulling copper out of circulation for years now. I'd guess that they only do this in certain territories (knock on wood, but in DC there's still plenty of copper), and it's certainly possible that they sometimes expand their copper sorting machinery into new territories.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/cri ... 236181007/
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing