100,000 Cents in two days!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

100,000 Cents in two days!

Postby corky569 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:05 pm

What a marathon! I picked up $1000.00 in cents Friday morning, and I recieved my Ryedale friday afternoon while I was at work. When I got home I got to work. I opened each roll, dumped it in a tray, checked for wheats, Canadian's, Indians, or anything else exciting. I then dumped them in a bucket. When the bucket was full I went out to the garage and dumped them, cup by cup into the Ryedale. While it was running i did the same search of my rolls, dumping them into the Ryedale as I went. That little machine caught up every time! When my bucket was empty I went back inside to re-fill it. I can't believe that machine. It is awesome! I didn't count my wheats, but I did get four BU ones! I also got a blank planchette! I didn't get any Indians, but I did get a lot of Canadians, and a Bahamas cent with some starfish on it. I ran my coppers a second time, and get this I only got 39 zincs! I know for a fact that some of those zincs where a direct result of my arm getting in the way, and bouncing them in the copper bucket. I also know that I dropped a couple in there when I was clearing a jam. Not bad at all, I may not even run them twice anymore. 20,166 total copper. A very long hard weekend, I just wanted to see if I could do it. I did, and now maybe I'll do a couple hundred a day instead of 40 boxes in a marathon weekend! Thanks Andy for the great machine, It is a joy to use! Now to bag up 80,000 zinc pennies.
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Re: 100,000 Cents in two days!

Postby misteroman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:04 pm

great job and a very similar set up to how I'm doing it except it open everything first then go
through after they've all been pre sorted
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thunter » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:52 pm

Wow ... I'd like to know how long it takes you to dump all those zincs.
thunter
Penny Pincher Member

Postby corky569 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:29 am

I dumped a hundred face today, and have 150.00 bagged to dump tomorrow. I ran another 100.00 tonight though, Dammit now I have 8000 more zincs to dump. Will it never end!
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:32 am

corky569 wrote:I dumped a hundred face today, and have 150.00 bagged to dump tomorrow. I ran another 100.00 tonight though, Dammit now I have 8000 more zincs to dump. Will it never end!

Nope, it never ends. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HPMBTT » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 am

Not bad at all. I've only had my Ryedale a few days too. Just did another $100.00 last night, plus I got four more boxes sitting on the floor for tomorrow. Also, I gotta pick up some more boxes from the bank tomorrow too. :) I turn up the radio loud too, so as to disguise the noise of the machine, just in case (good OPSEC for any nosy neighbors).
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby zerocd » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:14 pm

OK, I'll bite, where are you guys dumping?

There are free coinstars where I have accounts but I don't use them. I have come to be very knowledable about the machines Commerce Bank used and then inherited by TD Bank. I have a dozen branches in the area and usually dump haves and nickels. I do ryedale my pennies about once a month and the zincs go to TD.

Anyway, what choices do you have to dump $500 pennies or more or do you split the load between branches as I do?

TIA

0CD
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:26 pm

I dump in clear plastic bags; I don't split the load over two bags, as that would be too messy. :lol:

Uh...just kidding. :) Sorry, I couldn't resist. Let's start over. I dump at a bank that doesn't charge a fee to take coin in bags. Some banks charge a fee to take coin, such as $3.75 per bag; these are the ones you want to stay away from, if you can. If you must pay a fee, then be sure to dump the maximum amount of coin every single time you go to the bank (and within their acceptable limits per day/week). Rolling is just too much work, especially if you're talking about thousands of coins etc. I have called several banks on the phone to ask them about their policies on returning bagged coins, but many banks will give different answers and different people at the same bank will also give you different answers. Sometimes, you will get a better answer in-person...for example, when talking to a new accounts person at the bank, ask them 'If I open an account here, do you charge customers a fee to return loose coins in bags?" . See what they say. Your mileage may vary (YMMV), but I have found that bankers tend to be more reasonable when they are face-to-face with a potential client (after all, they make money when you deposit your money). This is especially true if it's the lead new accounts manager on duty that day that you're talking to. If they are OK with taking bagged coin, then when you sit down with them to open account, say, "Before I open the account, I just want to know what your limits are on bringing in bagged coins, how much etc" . It's a good idea to know in advance and I also think the honest approach works best (seriously).

Also, don't give up if they won't take coin in bags or if the fee is too high. Then I change course and ask them, "can I order coins as a customer here and if so, do you charge a fee?" If you can't make it a dump bank, see if you can make it a bank where you can order boxes for free.

I don't use Coinstar, as I don't always want to go shopping with the money after returning the coin (ie Coinstar machine at Wal-Mart). Just not worth it in my opinion, plus I hear the machines are a lot slower than the good coin counters at a regular bank (if you have them in your town).

For dumping large amounts of coin (ie > $500) for a normal (non-business) account. Well, I think HoardCopperByTheTon or Market Harmony would be able to answer that question better, since they tend to handle higher amounts than a lot of us here. But in general, the safest thing to do is to split it up over several branches of the same bank and not all in the same business day (FYI: It may take 3 days for the deposit to be posted). For a non-business account, I would think $100-$200 in bagged coin on a regular basis should not be a problem, as long as it's not every day etc. If it's half dollars, I wouldn't go over $500 per dump (again, YMMV; some members here dump a lot more than one box at the same time). The amounts could probably be safely higher if it were a large national bank (ie BofA, Chase, Wells Fargo, National City) in a major metro area. I'm sure others here with more experience can chime in on this subject.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing