Getting rid of zincs

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Getting rid of zincs

Postby Snake42 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:40 pm

Hello all. I was wondering if there was a more efficient way to get the zincs rolled. Coinstar is too high and hand rolling takes too long. I was wondering if there was a good low tech solution like molded plastic holders with a funnel or something? I am looking for a way to increase efficiency from hand rolling, but am not quite ready to go out and buy a machine roller. Thanks in advance.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Getting rid of zincs

Postby STINGER » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Open an acct at a bank with free counting most of them would rather recieve them loose rather than rolled so they can take their own count
STINGER
Penny Sorter Member

Postby tinhorn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:27 pm

Yup, what Stinger said. I opened an account (free) at a bank with two nearby coin machines. Another bank also has a coin counter and free accounts. Found a fourth machine today, but I don't believe they offer free accounts. Man, I love going into strange banks and asking 1) for pennies, and 2) if they know who has a coin counter in the area.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby STINGER » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:42 pm

I have accounts at 6 different banks in in three towns. Always lookin for the next one some supply and some I dump on. I use 11 total branches of these banks And the bad part is that's not enough
STINGER
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:46 pm

I agree just look for banks with self serve coin counters in the lobby. And even if they don't offer self serve counters most of them will still take your pennies and credit the amount of your deposit to your account. Around here no banks will accept rolls. Not even my machine rolled rolls. They all have to break them open and run them through their counters.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:47 pm

Yeah, you need to find a bank that accepts loose returns. Saves so much time that can be used to sort more.... These banks can be hard to find, but depending on the size of your town, there might be one or two around. Once you find one branch of one bank with a machine, there is probably another branch with another machine. Find one to let you buy the bags and another to let you return loose. Super time saver. That''s kinda what I do, accept I spread the action around due to volume.

Deal

p.s. Remember, you can't have too many banks....
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby bgretz1989 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:02 pm

heres what i started with shop around and you can find them cheaper

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/fast-wrap.html
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby Snake42 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:03 pm

What banks do ya'll use? I have been to almost every bank around here asking for a bank that has a coin roller. No one does. I also ask if they count for free or even a fee and every bank has told me that I have to roll it myself. Guess I just need to search more.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby CrazyTom » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:48 pm

I have an account at a bank and that gets me free counting. It's the only way to go. Minimum 100 dollar deposit, well worth it,
TCF Bank in Arizona.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom's equation; More Traffic + More Miles = More Metal
CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tn-dave » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:11 pm

I searched for a thread to put this video in without opening a new thread and I think it fits here.

Pretty interesting that the police showed up - "It's Legal Tender..!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzc8vS-a ... r_embedded
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cerulean » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 pm

I have a close friend who works for a small board and card game retailer. Since he's the only staff member on duty, he'd have to close the store just to run out to the bank or for lunch, and this makes it hard for him to get more small change mid-day if he runs out. I roll my coins and bring them in when I visit. He knows that my rolls are accurate and honest, so he trusts my rolls of pennies, nickels, and dimes I bring for trade. I've even started bringing $1 bills in bundles of twenty, and he needs those more than anything else. He refuses to stock dollar coins because his supervisor balks at them, but I offer them anyway.

Banks take in coins so that they can give them to merchants. Skip the middleman and offer them to merchants directly. This works best if you know and trust the cashier at a merchant that you visit regularly. Offer your rolls to them in exchange for bigger bills from the register.
Listening is the linchpin of democracy.
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tommybee » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:07 pm

The Coinstar I use offers the option of choosing an eCertificate instead of paying the 8.9% fee. (I would NEVER pay a fee) My family buys a lot of stuff from Amazon.com so I get one for them. Works out pretty well.
Tommybee

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:08 pm

I get the Lowes, I spend a lot there. BTW, my coinstar charges 9.8%

Tommybee wrote:The Coinstar I use offers the option of choosing an eCertificate instead of paying the 8.9% fee. (I would NEVER pay a fee) My family buys a lot of stuff from Amazon.com so I get one for them. Works out pretty well.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:49 pm

The main problem I see with you guys using Coinstar are those giftcards. You are spending the money on BS. Why not put it back into pennies? But, If it's the only way you can return zincs, then so be it....

Deal

p.s. Look for credit unions. Use bribes to grease the wheels, hehe.
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Tommybee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:41 pm

I was wrong. My Coinstar charges 9.8%, too.
Tommybee

Postby andrewjackson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:34 am

:D awesome video!!! I have entertained the option of paying our ever increasing $3,300 per year property taxes with unrolled zincs... :lol:
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing