Just had my first experience of bank "push back"

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Just had my first experience of bank "push back"

Postby CanadianHoarder » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:04 am

So I picked up my first $25 box of pennies last Thursday. I had no problems at all and everything went smoothly. However, today I phoned to pick up two more boxes and they told me that they only had enough for one box and that they would have to phone customer service to see if the service could be provided for me (I am a client of a virtual banking service that is affiliated with the branch).

I was pretty frustrated because I thought they were giving me the go around, but I stayed calm and courteous and I think that went a long way. I am going to pick up my one box of pennies in about two hours, so hopefully everything will be sorted out by then. :)
CanadianHoarder

Re: Just had my first experience of bank "push back"

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:16 am

Sounds like PC / Scotia

That happens with me all the time. The banks here just dont that much coin with them all the time. I just take what I can get. I have many times been turned down at my regular banks saying they dont have much small coin and wont be able to spare any that day. It sucks but you learn which banks have bigger coin holdings and go to them if you are low on coins to search.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Those banks that are chronically short might be good candidates for dump banks?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:34 pm

haha.. I agree but I dont want too many dump banks. The ones that are chronically short might be chronically short because of their storage area size. I saw the safe at one of my banks and I was surprized how small it was. I am sure a few people on here (not me though) would have a bigger safe than the one I saw them get my nickels out of. It was no more than 3ft tall 2 ft deep and 3ft wide. So a generous estimate would be 18 cubic feet not including shelves and other dividers. The bank I use for dumping has a huge walk in area that they keep their coins. I havent seen the inside but its big enough to walk in. The reason it is my dump bank is because I developed a good relationship with them and I told them when I was coming back to pick up pennies, long story short, the order was messed up and they got 10 times more pennies than they wanted... good eh... wrong. The pennies they were given came from the mint. In Canada that is bad. Now they dont order coins for anyone anymore
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CanadianHoarder » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:47 pm

I just got back with a $25 box of pennies. It did sound like they were just short of pennies and didn't have enough for 2 full boxes. I am surprised by this.

Also, I found out that my virtual affiliated account did not entitle me to take out coins like this without a service fee of 6 cents per role. They let me take the box without paying the fees this time, but a had to be a customer for such service in the future. Needless to say, I set up a meeting with them later in the week to see about getting an account with them. 8-)

BTW, the bank is CIBC for those wondering.
CanadianHoarder

Postby psi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:04 pm

TD seems not too bad for cheap full service accounts, I think mine is 3.95 a month. Another advantage with teller service is that there is no hold on cash deposits and a smaller hold on cheques.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:18 pm

I always call ahead to see what they have on hand. Have more than one contact at the bank in case the primary is in a meeting or on vacation, etc. Bribery with doughnuts and bagels every once in awhile is the best way I know to get speedy service and fees waived.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CanadianHoarder » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:I always call ahead to see what they have on hand. Have more than one contact at the bank in case the primary is in a meeting or on vacation, etc. Bribery with doughnuts and bagels every once in awhile is the best way I know to get speedy service and fees waived.

LOL, I am going to have to try the doughnuts route one of these days!
CanadianHoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:11 am

CIBC is unique in that the tellers each hold their own coin rolls. Usually they are really happy to get rid of the coins so they don't have to count them. I don't bank with CIBC but never had an issue getting coins from tellers for paper $$. CIBC branches also hold some coin in the vaults, but don't count on it.

TD generally has little coin on hand and often act all weird if you want a box.
RBC is the best for stocking coin - go to the commercial teller every time. Only problem is they seem to get a lot of RCM direct coin.
Scotia is hit and miss but will sell coin no questions asked.
Credit Unions are great generally.
Branches that are in commercial areas with lots of retailer accounts will have more coin (look around the branch for evidence of lots of business banking)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby timmus0382 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:00 pm

JadeDragon wrote:Branches that are in commercial areas with lots of retailer accounts will have more coin (look around the branch for evidence of lots of business banking)

I have good luck TD banks in grocery stores. Do you think it might be that the cashiers give all the change to the bank inside the store?

I never have a problem picking up a box when I ask. I also find if you go into a bank with one of their bank pouches in your hand that has their logo they are more willing to give you coin. I usually say "Hi I would like to purchase 10 dollars in pennies." Then say "Oh, hey instead of me putting them in this little bag could I please just have a box of 50 its easier for me to carry".
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby inflationhawk » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:08 pm

I had a worrisome experience at a bank this morning. I explained i was an account holder and asked to purchase 2 $25 boxes and the teller went to the vault. Another teller followed and when the original teller came out and gave them to me, she asked what type of business I had. I said I was a collector. And she said, oh you don't have a commercial account with us? And I said no. She just said ok and I left with my coins. I have a feeling if I go back again and it's the same teller, I won't be getting any more pennies. :(
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby doug » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:21 pm

A bank with branches in my area has changed to only giving out boxes or even more than five dollars of rolls to only commercial accounts only.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CuNation1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:18 pm

I usually just do a box a week from a small town bank that I drive past daily. Only a few times so far that they didn't have any, to come back in a few days, but generally they have no problem with me requesting just one. I haven't tested getting two at a time just yet.
CuNation1

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing