Great, I'm "that guy" now

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Great, I'm "that guy" now

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:14 pm

So I ran by the bank on the way home from work today, and as I've mentioned, I tend to get smaller quantities. So I asked for $10 in pennies, and the teller says "sure!", and takes my $10 bill. Then she turns to the teller next to her and says "do you have ten in pennies", and without looking up, the teller hands her 10 pennies. So the teller says "No, $10 in pennies", and the other teller looked up and said "Whoops, I didn't see who it was!"... lol, I've only been doing this for a month! :lol:
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Great, I'm "that guy" now

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:32 pm

There is a guy at a desk close to the penny arcade machine at TD Bank that now gives me the eye when I walk in with my pennies to count. I think he thinks that I am suspicious in some way. He's starting to make little remarks that seem sort of snarky to me...maybe its just my imagination. I always laugh it off and say, "Yeah, I'm back with more today". I keep thinking he's going to cut me off at some point and tell me to stop bringing in so many pennies. I'm limiting my visits to this branch to 3 a week and about $40 worth each visit. Has anyone ever been cut off from the coin counter at TD Bank or any other bank before!!? I am an account holder there, but admittedly my only business is penny returns and ATM withdrawals.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:34 pm

oooo the word snarky again!!!!!!! I've heard that word twice now this month after not hearing it for probably 20yrs!!! :mrgreen:
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:37 pm

I have been using TD Bank Penny Arcades for years...

I would say that almost every teller at every branch within a 20 mile radius of my house and a 10 mile radius around my girlfriend's house knows me!

When they started charging the 6%, I went immediately after work, and opened an acct for $50. The guy asked me how much I was going to deposit into the acct w/in the next year and I said $0. Then he asked me how much I was going to withdraw, and I said $0.

The guy asked me, why in the heck was I opening the acct..., and I said- so I can use your penny machine for free... he laughed at me...said ok.. and that was it..

So, to answer your question... dump, dump, and dump some more! They don't care about the fact that you are using their machine...

What does drive me crazy, is that the bags only accept $100 of dollar coins and halves.. which can get very annoying when I go and dump my halves.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:38 pm

BTW... I've been the penny guy, the half guy, the coin guy, and the PITA guy! I actually enjoy it!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks otuslotus, I think I am just being paranoid. I just started doing this in higher volume in the last few weeks.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:25 pm

I think you are better off going in less often with more coins to dump, 3 times per week seems like a lot for one branch.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:38 pm

As I said before.. TD has built its business around the coin counter, and super friendly hours..

Their game plan originally was to get the common person, off the street and into their bank. That way they could open accts for these people, and in the end make more money!

I am cool with that! I don't believe that they will ever stop that.. especially now that they are charging 6% for those who don't have an acct there...

I girl walked in to a branch on Saturday, read that there was a fee, and then walked out.. 2 sec later she was walking back in.. I said to her that she could use it here, or go to the coinstar and pay 10%...

I almost offered to use my acct to giver her free coin counting, but then that could have possibly ruined my flow, gotten me introuble (and besides- she wasn't that cute)
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm the "penny guy" at my main pick-up bank. I went in the other day to get a roll of quarters for laundry and one of the ladies asked if I needed any boxes of pennies. She said that they all get to know the "coin guys" pretty quick. There are two "half dollar guys" that get a few boxes a week, but I'm the only penny guy so far.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CuNation1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm the only penny guy at the bank I go to also. All of the tellers know me by name already, but I stick around for a minute usually and do some friendly chatting with them to build up a repertoire with them.
CuNation1

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:44 pm

One thing I find all tellers have in common.. they all like chocolate :mrgreen:
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing