People are still buying boxes of 2011 pennies above face...

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

People are still buying boxes of 2011 pennies above face...

Postby involuntary tentacle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:19 pm

I picked up a box of pennies from WF... didnt open it til i got home.
was disappointed to see they were all shiny.. but then realized they were all 2011-D
looked on the bay, and people are STILL buying them for more than face!

and to think... i was just going to dump them on monday :D
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Re: People are still buying boxes of 2011 pennies above face

Postby Corsair » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:40 pm

I have been working my rear end off trying to find 2011 uncirculated boxes. No luck so far. I fear it's starting to get too late for me to have any luck anyway. Congrats on the find.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby involuntary tentacle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:59 pm

there is a guy on ebay right now who said he got his box from a bank in missouri...... in fact, here it is

http://cgi.ebay.com/BANK-BOX-2011-P-LIN ... 45f97fe6f7

Maybe you can contact him and ask him which bank... but I would bet money that he doesnt give up his source :(
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby involuntary tentacle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:05 pm

which banks have you tried? i bank with tiny banks that actually appreciate my money... but i ventured into a WF mainly because it was about 10 minutes to 6PM on a Friday night and they were pretty much the only bank open. I had the cash on me as well.

normally i would have been disappointed at seeing a box full of shiny coins, but we will see if i can get more than face for it... if it works, im going back for more boxes... but i will never open an account there
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Corsair » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:14 pm

The bank that I got a few boxes from is called Citizens Bank. I contacted them, and they would not order me coins, nor sell me any more pennies. I contacted another branch in a different town, and they said they don't order pennies. I called the first branch back, asked what coin delivery service they used, they said Monday Security. So I called Monday Security, they said they don't delivery coins, just service and sell coin counters. So I called NF String and Son. They said they don't deliver coins, just provide the material to wrap them. They said contact Coin Wrap Inc. So I called them. They said they don't deliver to any banks around that area, called the US Mint. I said, "The US Mint?" "Yes," she said, "Call the Mint." So I called the Mint. They said call the Federal Reserve. So I called the Federal Reserve. They said they just go out in random numbers and in random places, but I should try Wal-Mart. "Wal-Mart?" "Yes," she said, "Call Wal-Mart." So I called Wal-Mart. Apparently they get massive coin orders and would be more likely to receive new pennies. No dice. So I called Brinks, even though I know that it's not Brinks, because I get a lot of Brinks pennies. They said that the only competition they know of is Guarda. So I called Guarda. They said they deliver to Citizens Banks and banks in Pacific. So I called around to banks in Pacific. One said they would let me order pennies if I opened an account. So I drove down there, opened an account and ordered pennies. Got a call yesterday, yes, pennies are in, no, they are not new.

Sigh. So from there, I really don't know what to do.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby involuntary tentacle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:50 pm

wow... sorry to hear that. this is my fourth shiny box ever... i have only been sorting since the beginning of the year so i havent gone through much in FV.
all my other shiny coins were clear wrapped.. and i just dug out the coins darker than the rest. but getting this one must have been luck.
its crazy too how it is almost damn near april and these things are still selling for as much as they are. i thought i was just going to dump them with the others until i checked ebay.

would it be a hassle for you to drive into neighboring states?
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Corsair wrote:The bank that I got a few boxes from is called Citizens Bank. I contacted them, and they would not order me coins, nor sell me any more pennies. I contacted another branch in a different town, and they said they don't order pennies. I called the first branch back, asked what coin delivery service they used, they said Monday Security. So I called Monday Security, they said they don't delivery coins, just service and sell coin counters. So I called NF String and Son. They said they don't deliver coins, just provide the material to wrap them. They said contact Coin Wrap Inc. So I called them. They said they don't deliver to any banks around that area, called the US Mint. I said, "The US Mint?" "Yes," she said, "Call the Mint." So I called the Mint. They said call the Federal Reserve. So I called the Federal Reserve. They said they just go out in random numbers and in random places, but I should try Wal-Mart. "Wal-Mart?" "Yes," she said, "Call Wal-Mart." So I called Wal-Mart. Apparently they get massive coin orders and would be more likely to receive new pennies. No dice. So I called Brinks, even though I know that it's not Brinks, because I get a lot of Brinks pennies. They said that the only competition they know of is Guarda. So I called Guarda. They said they deliver to Citizens Banks and banks in Pacific. So I called around to banks in Pacific. One said they would let me order pennies if I opened an account. So I drove down there, opened an account and ordered pennies. Got a call yesterday, yes, pennies are in, no, they are not new.

Geez, you call that trying? :D
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:04 pm

I don't have the most fuel-efficient car, I'm only 19, and I don't know how much my parents would appreciate me doing that. Also, I don't have the kind of FRNs on hand that would allow me to stock up on enough pennies (if I could find them) to justify the trip across state lines. I think I'll call Guarda back and see what other banks they service.

And yeah, CardsNCoins, it's pretty pathetic, the minuscule amount of effort I put in :D
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby HPMBTT » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:16 am

Corsair wrote:The bank that I got a few boxes from is called Citizens Bank. I contacted them, and they would not order me coins, nor sell me any more pennies. I contacted another branch in a different town, and they said they don't order pennies. I called the first branch back, asked what coin delivery service they used, they said Monday Security. So I called Monday Security, they said they don't delivery coins, just service and sell coin counters. So I called NF String and Son. They said they don't deliver coins, just provide the material to wrap them. They said contact Coin Wrap Inc. So I called them. They said they don't deliver to any banks around that area, called the US Mint. I said, "The US Mint?" "Yes," she said, "Call the Mint." So I called the Mint. They said call the Federal Reserve. So I called the Federal Reserve. They said they just go out in random numbers and in random places, but I should try Wal-Mart. "Wal-Mart?" "Yes," she said, "Call Wal-Mart." So I called Wal-Mart. Apparently they get massive coin orders and would be more likely to receive new pennies. No dice. So I called Brinks, even though I know that it's not Brinks, because I get a lot of Brinks pennies. They said that the only competition they know of is Guarda. So I called Guarda. They said they deliver to Citizens Banks and banks in Pacific. So I called around to banks in Pacific. One said they would let me order pennies if I opened an account. So I drove down there, opened an account and ordered pennies. Got a call yesterday, yes, pennies are in, no, they are not new.

My my....just have to comment. Nice effort there! At first, I thought the story was going to be false and wasn't going to read about it until the end of the story. Anyway, great effort. :) Looks like everyone gave you the runaround. It's the usual BS..nobody wants to take responsibility and nobody knows anything etc.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby involuntary tentacle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 pm

So my 2011 box netted a little over 2x face! Not bad!
Better than dumping them for $25 at the bank :D

I hope no one from here is buying those 2011 pennies.......
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Snake42 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 pm

I just got my weekly 1000$ dollar order of pennies and they were.... all 2011 shields. Already sold 4 boxes for 200+ 36 more to go! It was a little disappointing to not get any coppers, but I think somehow I'll push through =D
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby justj2k78 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:10 pm

Snake42 wrote:I just got my weekly 1000$ dollar order of pennies and they were.... all 2011 shields. Already sold 4 boxes for 200+ 36 more to go! It was a little disappointing to not get any coppers, but I think somehow I'll push through =D

I'm probably misunderstanding, but, does that mean you sold 4 boxes at $200 each? :shock:
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pachucko » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:21 pm

justj2k78 wrote:
Snake42 wrote:I just got my weekly 1000$ dollar order of pennies and they were.... all 2011 shields. Already sold 4 boxes for 200+ 36 more to go! It was a little disappointing to not get any coppers, but I think somehow I'll push through =D

I'm probably misunderstanding, but, does that mean you sold 4 boxes at $200 each? :shock:

I think he sold them for $50 each, or $200 total.
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby Snake42 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:34 pm

justj2k78 wrote:

I wish! Nah only a little more than 50$ each after fees and all.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby biglouddrunk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:48 pm

I see those boxes with holes in the bottom whenever somebody sells an uncirculated box, however in the 10k+ face I've bought from the bank I have yet to ever get a box that looks like that. Are all boxes with those holes fed fresh, or do a lot of you get yours in boxes like that?
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby involuntary tentacle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:52 pm

this is my second box with the holes. every time i get a "regular" box, they are always clear wrapped. both of these "hole" boxes have been wrapped with the those same white/red wrappers.

no idea where they come from though... but i got one from Wells Fargo and the other from US Bank.
the community banks i usually get from have the "normal" boxes.
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:21 am

I've gotten three boxes so far in the last two months with the 50 holes in the top. At first I was excited! Could it be new 2011 coin?? :)

Sadly, it was just clean brown wrappers with over half the usual dirty coppers sticking out of one side. :(
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Snake42 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:54 am

The box you get depends on the coin vault service. The "box with holes" is done by NF String and Sons which Loomis delivers in my area. The different coin companies in my area use different wrappers and boxes. Brinks is clear wrappers and dunbar is like NF string and sons but without holes. They all have the chance of being new, its just you can know before you open it with NF String and Sons. The fed gives them all new coins and they decide what to give to the banks who decide what to give to you. Or thats the way I understand it. They want to give you older coins, because they just process them and send them back whereas the new ones they pay a fee on because they come from the fed. Again this is just what I think I know there is a definite possibility that I am completely wrong.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing