Going out of Business Sale

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Going out of Business Sale

Postby Morsecode » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:52 am

Coming home yesterday I spotted a bank branch I had never been to and decided to give them a shot. I don't have an account at this bank, and I already had 4 String boxes on the floor...so maybe I was feeling I had nothing to lose.

No customers inside, but lots of balloons and flowers, cake and coffee. I figured it was one of the girl's birthdays. So I ask what's going on and can I buy a box of cents?

They're closing the branch for good that afternoon and I can have every penny in the joint if I want :D

I also got a lifetime supply of coin wrappers, metal coin trays, some misc Ikes & SBA's, and two 1893 Columbus commems for .50 ea.

And the cake was pretty good, too.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Going out of Business Sale

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:54 am

Sweet!! :D

Morsecode wrote:Coming home yesterday I spotted a bank branch I had never been to and decided to give them a shot. I don't have an account at this bank, and I already had 4 String boxes on the floor...so maybe I was feeling I had nothing to lose.

No customers inside, but lots of balloons and flowers, cake and coffee. I figured it was one of the girl's birthdays. So I ask what's going on and can I buy a box of cents?

They're closing the branch for good that afternoon and I can have every penny in the joint if I want :D

I also got a lifetime supply of coin wrappers, metal coin trays, some misc Ikes & SBA's, and two 1893 Columbus commems for .50 ea.

"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:30 am

Morsecode wrote:Coming home yesterday I spotted a bank branch I had never been to and decided to give them a shot. I don't have an account at this bank, and I already had 4 String boxes on the floor...so maybe I was feeling I had nothing to lose.

Way to go Rob. A lifetime of coin wrappers is some gift indeed as I always feel uncomfortable asking my tellers for a stack of penny wrappers. I hope you cleaned them out of their pennies as well! :D :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:33 am

those metal coin trays are SUPER nice. I have a couple that I think were accidentally given to me one time and I prize them.
barrytrot

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:57 am

Congrats on your score....I think we will see more banks go out of business before the end of the year. I would guess quite a few want be serving cake either... But I might be wrong remembering the phrase; "Just let them eat cake!" :D
Copper Catcher

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:10 pm

This isn't a late April Fool's Day joke is it? If not, how many pennies did you actually walk away with?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Ha! No it isn't. But that's why I waited until today to post.

I bought 9 String boxes, 1 WF box with the clear tubes, and maybe 3 dozen loose rolls. The girls even carried most of them out to the Beetle for me. I was too busy eating cake. :lol:

The best part was at no time did anyone ask if I had an account there.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:05 pm

That is awesome! A few questions from a newbie:

Are the string boxes the $25 dollar cardboard boxes? What is the other kind of box?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:32 pm

String boxes (the cardboard boxes themselves) are made by N.F. String & Son, Inc., and are used by coin suppliers around the country. WF was my shorthand for Wells Fargo. They wrap their coin in clear plastic tubing, which I hate but others don't seem to mind.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby TXBullion » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:40 pm

thats too funny that you were having cake there with them, like it was a birthday party or something , very good story!
TXBullion

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:02 pm

you were having cake there with them...

While they were loading the pennies into your car... Thank God you didn't decide to pursue a life of crime!
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing