Got one of those penny boxes today

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Got one of those penny boxes today

Postby doug » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:40 pm

While I was on the road today I picked up a box of pennies from a local bank that always helps me with a smile even though I do not have an account there yet. This evening when I started dumping the rolls out of the box in a pail to run through the Ryedale I noticed that there was an awful alot of coppers in them. It was a machine wrapped string box. So when I finished the box I ran them seperate to see the percentage.

No wheats
No Canadian
156 zincs
2344 coppers

For an percentage of 93.7% coppers, Nice to hit the jackpot occasionly. :D

Doug
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Got one of those penny boxes today

Postby Morsecode » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Sounds like you went through a worm hole back to April 1983. I expect that would've been the norm average at that time.

8-)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tn-dave » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:19 am

Wow.. Did you happen to notice the average dates of the Zincs.?

Sometime in CWRs when I get a really high % of copper like that I'll see that the latest date is the early 90s or so. I always guessed that somebody was digging the penny jar out of the closest when they needed extra $$. I'm in a pretty low population comunity and I wish we hadn't gotten a couple of Coinstar machines at the two big grocery stores here. I'm sure they've lowered the amount of nice CWR rolls the banks get in..
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby doug » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:09 pm

These were machine rolled in a sealed box. The newest zinc I found was an 2010 sheild.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing