CWR'S at credit unions

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

CWR'S at credit unions

Postby timmus0382 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:57 pm

Just a heads up but im sure most of you know this already. I have noticed an increased amount of cu and wheats in CWR's at credit unions over CWR's at large bank chains. Trouble is you need to have an account at a credit union to get coin. Most credit unions share branches so one account will cover many. I don't know what it is but maybe its because I don't see many young people whenever I go into a credit union. Perhaps these people have had pennies sitting in their house for many years. I have also noticed lots of dimes too. I have also noticed the credit unions are happy to give away their coin as long as you tell them a day in advance what you want because they have to cover up the account number on the rolls. I have been able to get $50 face every other day from 3 different credit unions. I hope this lasts because my wheat box is getting heavier and heavier every day.
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Re: CWR'S at credit unions

Postby Morsecode » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:04 pm

All true...but I find that the overall cu percentage is a few points higher with String boxes. Not sure why that is, but it's gone that way last four or five buys at the credit union.

Gotta love those dimes though :D
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Good info. My primary bank is a credit union and there are many affiliate credit unions that have agreements near where I live. I need to stop in and ask for pennies. Thanks for the tip!
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby Gamecock » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:54 pm

I pick up at a credit union which is also my main bank. There's another one that I'm not a member of, but they let me pick up there, too. I think I'll try some dimes next time I'm in there.
"When a government overvalues one type of money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear from circulation into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Gamecock
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:29 pm

Lucky for you. The only two credit unions in my area charge for everything and do not like to carry any kind of coin. So it's not even worth it to open an account. At one of the two, this is what they said when I inquired about an account: they normally don't order boxes at all, they don't accept loose bagged coin, you must return rolled coin AND they charge you 20 cents for each roll if you return over 30 rolls! Can you believe that crap?? So I am 0 for 4; there are no advantages to having an account there, so I didn't even bother. A shame really....as I would like to have a credit union. :(
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby justj2k78 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Morsecode wrote:All true...but I find that the overall cu percentage is a few points higher with String boxes. Not sure why that is, but it's gone that way last four or five buys at the credit union.

Gotta love those dimes though :D

I have been hitting a steady 28-30% with String lately, not bad
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:51 am

My CU doesn't get coin, doesn't order boxes, doesn't take bagged coin, etc. But they do do one thing I really like. Every few months they have a customer appreciation day where they award $50-75 to the person that runs the most in coin through their CoinStar that day. Seems they always let me win! :mrgreen:

Joining a new credit union at work on Monday. This one only has one branch.. but it is tied in with every other major credit union within 100 miles. I will definately use this tip to increase my pickups at all the affiliate credit unions.
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby psi » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:20 am

Bit off topic but what are these string boxes people keep talking about?
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:22 pm

This is a String box.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:30 pm

psi wrote:Bit off topic but what are these string boxes people keep talking about?

They are boxes manufactured by N.F. String & Son of Pennsylvania. They are usually full of coins in N.F. String & Son paper. Good paper, but not really superior to many other brands of wrapping paper available in the marketplace. N.F. String & Son manufactures the coin packaging supplies and sells them to the coin processors who roll the coins up. I use a lot of their paper on my automatic rolling machines. There is a perception by some buyers that coins in N.F. String & son paper are superior. Probably goes back to somebody once finding an error variety of some state quarter in that type of paper or cracking open a plain tan or white roll of BU pennies and finding a dirty roll.

Brinks boxes are generally shaped slightly different and the coins are the plastic wrap.. except for half dollars, which come in brown and white paper. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:32 pm

On the west coast we often get N.F. String & Son boxes without the peek-a-boo holes. It still says to visually inspect before opening.. but I guess they get a cheaper price on the boxes if buy them in bulk without the final die cut process. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Morsecode » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:31 pm

I'm even hoarding the empties now :?

Can't seem to throw the damn things out.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:01 pm

Morsecode wrote:I'm even hoarding the empties now :?

Can't seem to throw the damn things out.

Oh...yep...I have like 30 empties on the shelf in the closet. I like to ship in them after I roll them up. I don't roll anymore...work sends me to get pee tests! :lol:
TheJonasCollegeFund

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing