"Apology" given by my mail carrier today!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

"Apology" given by my mail carrier today!

Postby pennypicker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:31 pm

For those of you who are familiar with my Friday's post concerning the busted 68# package of pennies, I am happy to say that my mail lady knocked on my door today and offered a sincere apology for her "rude" attitude and her spewing dirt from her tires after she sped off on Friday. Said it was her fault that the box broke because she was sliding the box from a height of 5 feet and once it neared the edge of the stack of boxes the weight suddenly pulled it crashing to the concrete. I told her it was "not" her fault because the post office shouldn't require a 56 year old, 125 pound woman to be handling 70# packages and especially when at a height near the top of her head. She said it was in her job description and that she was required to be able to move 70# boxes.

So both the mail carrier and the seller were in my opinion not at fault here. You can't expect a 56 year old 125 pound woman to handle 70# boxes nor can you expect a highly concentrated 70# box to survive a 5 foot drop onto concrete without some sort of damage.

So in conclusion I feel that fault lies with the "brass" at USPS who came up with the 70 pound limit. I'm sure it was a PR move for more business and they really didn't expect people would pack these flat rate boxes with 70#'s. Seriously though did the "brass" at USPS really expect their female carriers to walk up ice covered steps carrying a 70# box somewhere in New England on a January day??? :o
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: "Apology" given by my mail carrier today!

Postby Corsair » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Damn straight! I can understand that it would be difficult to expect a woman, in those conditions, to lift a package, in those conditions. Her apology should be tallied onto the "Good Things Pennypicker's Local PO Has Done For Him" board. However, all together, the USPS is still a flailing and failing institution, eager to grasp onto any straw that provides them the slightest assistance.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Wait...how do you know her weight? I thought that was one of those things you weren't supposed to ask/guess about.

Nice to see that you two kissed and made up though.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Like I said twice before, USPS is stupid for allowing 70 lbs in that box. Limit should be 30-40 lbs.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Its the Post Office, what did you expect? They only lost 2.5 billion dollars last year...
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:33 pm

When she is holding that box she becomes a 195 pound woman....or as I like to call it....just right 8-)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Kurr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:19 pm

There's the effects of mandatory minimum political correctness, imo.

I would not blame the box. We clearly do it all the time. Some people have described a method where one flat rate is "shrunk" a hair then 68lbs put in it, then double tape sealed, then slid into ANOTHER flate rate box and packaged double tape layer outside as well. The security can be had.

The logistics says for the amount of people sending ultra light, less than the average they can afford the occasional heavy ones like we send and still do ok financialy.

The problem is requiring a 56 year old 125lb woman to lift a 70lb package near head level to make it look like equility is a scientific certainty, and that men and women, young and old, are all "equal" and pretend discrimination of ANY kind is not a quality of hiring.

I see the failed effects of administrative policy that killed your box.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Corsair » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:42 pm

Kurr wrote:There's the effects of mandatory minimum political correctness, imo.

I would not blame the box. We clearly do it all the time. Some people have described a method where one flat rate is "shrunk" a hair then 68lbs put in it, then double tape sealed, then slid into ANOTHER flate rate box and packaged double tape layer outside as well. The security can be had.

The logistics says for the amount of people sending ultra light, less than the average they can afford the occasional heavy ones like we send and still do ok financialy.

The problem is requiring a 56 year old 125lb woman to lift a 70lb package near head level to make it look like equility is a scientific certainty, and that men and women, young and old, are all "equal" and pretend discrimination of ANY kind is not a quality of hiring.

How about putting a 70 lb. box on a shelf five feet off the ground?
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:44 pm

Kurr wrote:There's the effects of mandatory minimum political correctness, imo.

Kurr, I agree with every point you made. And you said it very well I might add.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:50 pm

It could be worse. You could try using Canada Post. Not only will they charge a crazy amount, loose your mail, and have stuff delivered weeks late, they also will leave your valuable package on your front step in the Canadian winter in a "rough" neighbourhood
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:14 pm

order a few more boxes!!! :lol:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NashuaSolstice » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:23 am

Corsair wrote:
How about putting a 70 lb. box on a shelf five feet off the ground?

ya just dont bitch when it becomes a $30 flat rate for the same weight. blame the person who puts the box there on a high shelf to begin with. based on her behavior, she prob put it on the shelf herself and it was prob half the height she claimed. some people are just full of excuses. we essentially are paying the PO for service through our tax dollars (hopefully not for long) so enjoy it while it lasts.
NashuaSolstice
Penny Sorter Member

Postby aristobolus » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:31 am

USPS probably instituted the 70 lbs weight to compete with UPS, who used to have a corner on the market in that category.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby tinhorn » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:34 pm

I admire her for 'fessing up and apologizing.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ramy98 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:59 pm

Did you manage to convince her to start hoarding CU ? ;-)
ramy98

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:57 am

its big of her to admit all three of her mistakes - damaging your package, being hostile to you, and lying about it.

I believe i was correct in predicting she was the cause in the original thread.

you have a very generous perspective. i applaud you for your forgiveness but disagree with you re who is at fault. i buy pennies all the time. is part of the risk that i'll get a mailcarrier who can't do their job? she knew the job description and ignored it. i'm glad this person did not decide to become a firefighter.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Its nobody's fault except political correctness - they can't pull a man from office work and trade places with her because that would be "sexist" even though she obviously is not the best person suited for lifting heavy weights.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing